1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My Tiger Barb

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mudpuppy, May 19, 2004.

1. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

Hi, this might seem like a really dumb question but I will ask it to you guys anyway. My question is how do I know the sex of my Tiger Barb? I have researched on how to tell if it is male or female but the information that websites give me is hard to understand. If anyone can help me with this problem, that would be most appreciated. I want to know the sex of my fish so i can get the opposite sex so I can breed them. Please help me out. Thank you for your time. :y_the_best:

2. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Hi Mudpuppy,
    The only thing I could find is that females are less intensly marked than the males. I'm not sure if that means they are lighter in color. I love tiger barbs but have never seen them breed. :oops: Let us know what you find!

3. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

the male will have bright orange almost red fins on its stomach. the femalte tends to have a faided orange

4. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

ok, thank you

thanks you guys..... if u say that the darker the middle fins are its a male, is def. a mal cuz the fins are very red ...... ill try to get a pic of him ASAP and ill buy a female and try to breed... :)

5. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

good luck, i wish i knew that a long time ago when i was 7 i tryed to breed 2 fish. i found out about the genders about a year ago and realized i tryed to breed 2 females :oops: thats where the blond comes into play. lol.

6. Candace

Candace New Member

you have one tiger barb? what fish are they with in your tank? how big is your tank? if your bioload allows, you should definitely get a few more barbs. if you insist on trying to breed them, then try to pick out 2 more females. a 2:1 ratio of females to males is ideal. also, tigers can be quite agressive, and can only be with fish that can hold their ground. try providing good hiding places for them too, that may help.