1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

My very bad weekend!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by GinaH, Aug 3, 2004.

1. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Hello all! Remember the Bird dog who belongs to my neighbors that killed our kitty Freddie? Well, he came onto my property on Saturday and attacked my Pekingese when I ran over to try and get her away from him he attacked me. My son ran in the house and got my husband and he ran out and grabbed a cattle prod and shocked the dog until he ran off. I was taken to the hospital and ended up having to have surgery on my broken hand 21 stitches in my side and 2 broken ribs. The dog was taken away Sunday night and is going to be put down Wednesday morning. And my neighbors are being sued by not only myself but by the city because apparently the dog had been reported three times to animal control for killing various other cats & dogs and for biting a 4 year old boy in the face. But I guess each time animal control tried to confiscate the dog the guy claimed he did not own the dog and had no idea who did. when the police showed up at his house Sunday night they threatened either he produced the dog or he was going to jail! Well, needless to say he handed over the dog. Luckily the dog did not get to my face I only sustained injuries to both hands and my right side. I have never had broken ribs before Boy Oh Boy do they hurt! And also it was my left hand that was broken so I am still able to type somewhat. That's why I haven't been on in a few days. :(
    My kids have been terrified and My husband is out right Pissed OFF! There was a tiny little article in the newspaper about it but it never even mentioned what breed of dog! I guarantee had it been one of my Pit bulls it would have been front page news.
    Anyways IM doing OK now just real sore and still a little shocked. IM just glad it was me and not one of my kids. Oh and Fancy my Pekingese had to have her neck and lip stitched up. But she's doing great now.

2. Rene

Rene New Member

OMG Gina that is terriable to bad people dont take better care of their dogs. I hope you and your baby get better soon i will be thinking of you

3. pamr61

pamr61 New Member

OH, man Gina!! :shock: What a mess!! I'm so sorry....Thank goodness you are going to be okay, and your dog is going to be okay--- but that's a lot to go through! Ribs are very painful to heal...take it easy.
    And I hope that jerk does time for this!! He has known for a long time his dog is dangerous....and the fact that it had already attacked a child!! And he did nothing!! I'm sorry your boys have to witness all this, but thank goodness it didn't hurt any of them.... take care of yourself!!

4. honeybears

honeybears New Member

OMG Gina, that is horrible, I am so glad you are okay. oh you poor thing, I had bruised ribs and that was painful enough. That man needs to be arrested! my gosh what if that had been one of your kids. I cant believe they didint. I am glad to hear fancy is doing okay.

Here is a ((((big hug)))) to you, hope you are feeling better soon.

honeybear

5. Sarge'smom

Sarge'smom New Member

:shock: Holy Cow! Gina, I am so sorry! I am glad you are going to be alright, but, my gosh, why did you have to go through this at all? Will you be including the City in your suit since they did not enforce or protect you when they should have by threatening the owner with jail sooner they would have had the dog already. What breed was the dog? I feel so bad for your kids too! They must have been so scared! Of course, I knew Fancy would be fine, with you running over there like a mother lion, she would have to be alright! I am so sick about this!

6. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

GOOD GRIEF, GINA!! That's TERRIBLE!!!

That really sucks that it had to come to that before your stupid neighbor was forced to do anything. Thank God your Husband was there. Hard telling what would have happened if not.

If that was me, I'd own everything that idiot has and ever will have. Thankfully nothing happened to your boys.

Wish I was close to help you out while you're down. DAMN!!!

7. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Oh Gina, hope you'll recover from the injury soon. I am sorry to hear what you and your doggie had gone through. After the lawsuit, are you going to have your and Fancy's medical expenses reimbursed at least?

This is for everyone: The dog trainer told me to keep a bottle of pepper spray handy whenever I am with my dog. If an unwelcomed dog (one without a leash, that is) approached and attached either one of us, by law I have the right to protect my dog and myself. Pepper spray works on dogs too!!!

8. Jody

Jody New Member

HOLY CRAP GINA - I hope you are doing ok. I know what it feels like to have broken ribs, just make sure you take it easy and make sure you don't cough real lot. I'm glad to hear your dog is ok to, poor little bugger.

Doesn't it suck that they did something about it now instead of a while ago when it attacked. I hope the owners get into serious trouble for it.

Take care of you and your little dog.

9. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Oh god, soon as you said that I thought back to your picture you posted. You had your arm bandaged. You are such a brave strong women. Good for you. I'm sorry it came to this, but something had to be done. Too bad your hubby was not the one to put the dog down, I'm sure he would have gotten some of his aggression out. I realize its all the owners fault, but this dog needs to be put down.
    My dog Rufus had two fractured ribs from an attack. Did the dog grab you by the ribcage and bite down. I hope you're feeling better. How tramatic.

10. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

Oh Gina I am so sorry! (((hugs to you and yours!))) This is one of the reasons we have a loaded gun in our house...( I know you have kids... so that is probably not an option for you... our kid is 19 and owns his own.) :shock:
    the cops would have been picking up a dead dog if that was at our house.
    I hope you get a lawyer and sue the idiot for your injuries and pain and suffering. He needs to be punished ... if not jail time then he needs to at least pay for your medical and suffering!

You need to take it easy for as long as your doctor says to. :m2: Take a vacation if you can... go camping or something.... but NO work of any kind for you!!! I mean it :!: :!: :!:

11. klorentz

klorentz New Member

Hi Gina ,

My GF just told me what happend to you . I am very glad you and your dog will be ok . Its a very scarry situation . I work for a local pizza shop and have had some extremly close calls when out on deliveries . You should as other forum members have said take it easy and relax .

Will keep you in our prayers ,

Kevin

12. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

oh gina thats terrible! i hope everything goes ok and the owners gets whats coming to them!

13. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Thank you everyone for your kind words. We obtained legal representation this morning and have been assured the owner of the dog will be very regretful for allowing his dog to roam knowing full well the dog was a danger to other animals as well as humans. My neighbor/Owner of the dog called this morning to apologize to me as if that would be enough!
    His first couple of bites were quick bites to my left hand which broke my hand and left several puncture wounds this was while I was trying to get Fancy away from him. Then when I got her away he lunged at me trying to get her again which is when he bit me repetitively on my right side. All together I had 21 stitches to my hand and side and on top of everything the dog was not current on his rabies vaccinations so I am going to have to undergo a series of preventive vaccinations plus I had to have a tetanus shot at the hospital.

14. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Gina: I'm sure the Dr. told you and you're aware of it, but dog bites have a high risk of infection. When I had my dog attack a year ago, they put me on these really strong antibiotics for about 4 months. Also make sure the wounds are draining. (I know, gross!)

Your dog bites are a lot more serious than your ribs and broken hand, even though they may be hurting more.

After your wounds are healed, start using some vitamin E on them because dog wounds really leave a scare. Unfortunately my wounds need plastic surgury which I might consider some day.

I feel so bad for you. I'm just really glad your Boys and Fancy are fine.

15. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Yes I am on antibiotics and they also gave me a shot of antibiotics and it was being administered in my IV at the hospital. I never knew dog bites were of such high risk of becoming infected until my doctors told me. They left the corners of each wound that was stitched somewhat open so that they would drain. And on my side there is a tiny port catheter like thingy that is supposed to act as a drain of some sorts have you ever heard of that?

16. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

HOLY TOLEDO, GINA!!!!!!! :kiss_heart:

21 stitches!?!?? That's a LOTTTT!!! My friend had a nasty, nasty, big ole cut on his face once that was 14 stitches, so I can only imagine 21!! good gracious!!!!! :-&

Wow.... unbelievable story, Gina! Can you imagine what could have happened if your hubby wasn't home? =; THANK GOODNESS your son was there to go get him. It's so saddddddddd that it all had to come to this, huh?? Stupid moron neighbor! grrrrrrrrrrrrrr....

I sure hope you are feeling better soon!!! bless your heart!!!!!! :love_y_t_much:

17. Jody

Jody New Member

OMG - Gina I could just imagine how you feel, obviously these neighbours of yours don't know the risks to owning a dog that can attack anything it likes....I can't believe he rang an apologised. Please update us about what happens to this moron. Take care of you!

18. nofear0fy0u

nofear0fy0u New Member

hey ginah i left tp and i came here im sorry about your dog :eek:

19. nern

nern New Member

OMG Gina I am so sorry for what happened to you. I'm glad that you, Fancy and your family are okay. I hope you are feeling better soon, I can only imagine how you must feel right now. I will keep you in my thoughts.

20. Blueribbon

Blueribbon New Member

Hi Gina,

I'm glad that you and Fancy are going to be OK. And like someone else said I'd go after the City too . I know what your going through I had a dog bite ( if it could of got to me again I'd of been dead ) to the back of my left leg 29 yrs ago. My sitter was watching me at her grandma's I went outside to play when my sitter came out to feed the dogs. She told me to stay back while she feed them, I told her I needed to go to the bathroom so I turned sideways on the sidewalk ( away from the dogs ) the next thing I knew I was on the ground with a big Siberian Husky trying to get to me ( when it bite it knocked me out of reach Thank God or I'd be dead ) the funny thing is I didn't feel any pain. She carried me in the house scream at her grandma that I'd been bit. My sitters grandma ( I'll call her May ) told me that if I didn't stop crying ( the pain by now had hit me ) she wouldn't call my mom. She did call mom, I went to the hospital ( the dog was put in the garage after the attack ) I required 144 stitches to close everything up ( they had to completely cut the muscle into and stitch it back together then stitch the leg closed. I told my mom what she said about not calling her, my mom filed a complaint against her and come to find out that she had been warned twice now about that dog trying to attack people. Needless to say I made the third complaint against her, the dog was put down . She begged and pleaded with the police not to take her dog ( which was up to date on all it's shots ) but they took it and put it down anyway. So Please take care of yourself and Fancy. I THANK GOD that someone was there to help you.

P.S. I was 10 when that happened. I never got a I'm Sorry from her.