1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

MY water bowl problem

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Aug 8, 2006.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

I figured I would see if anyone had any water bowl advice for me b/c I'm having issues as well. The problem is...well, there are a few that all converge into being a big problem.
    Problem #1 - I have 2 St. Bernards so they drink a LOT of water.
    Problem #2 - Maggie insists on splashing in the water bowl as soon as I put it down effectively spilling it all.
    Problem #3 - I live in the South and it is hot as *!?#.
    Problem #4 - Can't buy any automatic waterers or leave hoses out or anything of that nature due to the fact that my dogs are extraordinarily destructive.
    Problem #5 - During the day, I am going to have to be at work so during the hottest time of the day, no one is there for approx 9 hours.

Anyways, how I have it now is I have two 5 gallon buckets that I have padlocked to the fence that I fill up with water at least twice a day (when I leave for work and when I get home). But, like i said, Maggie splashes it all out. I have had 2 people now complain to me that I'm not giving them enough water and saying they were going to call animal control which I feel horrible about b/c they are very well cared for dogs - but we have this water problem. With Maggie, even if I put out 50 water bowls, she'd splash them all out. I can't leave the hose running in them b/c they will rip up the hose. :roll: I'm just running out of ideas. Any advice???

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

your problem sounds just like my neighbors horse! I drive by and the horse has this 2 legs in the trough kicking all of that water, so funny, but really isnt because they have had to separate the horses because this horse leaves no water for other horses.

Okay now back to your problem.

you can get those stoppers in metal, would they still tear those off?

instead of padlocking the bucket to the fence how about attaching it to the fence at their face level. so they cant spill the water out, tip it over, etc. I am thinking if you make 2 holes at the top of the bucket. use tie wraps to secure it to the fence. even better use that as a shell, so you can secure both top and bottom with another smaller bucket inside that can hold water so the bowl is real secure.

or something like this
    https://www.petshoprugeley.com/acatalog ... Bowls.html

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

4. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

We have this problem with some dogs at the kennel I work at. We give them smaller buckets (about a gallon and a half) because that way they have a harder time getting their paws in there to dig the water out. We also clip them to the chainlink doors at about face level, as honeybears suggested, since that makes it MUCH harder for them to dig the water out of, while it's still easy for them drink out of it. Since that would be a smaller bucket, you may need to get multiple buckets or something, but you know, whatever keeps them hydrated!

5. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Oh this is too funny!
    Ok, not really funny that they are problems, but my girls do the SAME THING!!!

Buki and Precious think its their duty to make sure all the water is expelled from the buckets!
    This is what I do to insure that they never run out. Granted. I'm home most of the day which is a plus, and I check on them routinely 4 times a day if they are outside... usually its way more than that because I bring them in.... but anyways.

I have a babypool. its one of those hard plastic ones, the girls LOVE to lay, dig and splash in it. that kinda keeps them from going to their water buckets. I also use 5 gallon buckets in all the runs and in addition to that, (my fail proof and since i'm such a worry wart its my fail safe) I have 55 gallon barrels cut in half and a about an 2inchs of concrete poured in the bottom of them. then I can fill it with water and leave them in the run and not worry about them flippin them over.