1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

MY WATER IS CLOUDY

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Sonny_d74, Jul 21, 2005.

1. Sonny_d74

Sonny_d74 New Member

TO ANYBODY THAT CAN HELP ME.I JUST BOUGHT 3 PIRHANA AND AFTER 1 DAY OF THEM BEING IN THE TANK THE WATER IS GETTING MORE AND MORE CLOUDY.IF ANYONE CAN GIVE ME ANY SOLUTIONS IT WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED :y_the_best:

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

White cloudy? Or green cloudy?

How big is the tank? How big are the fish?

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers, please)?

-Chelle

3. Sonny_d74

Sonny_d74 New Member

WHITE CLOUDY IN A 55 GALLON TANK AND ABOUT 1" RBP

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sounds like bacteria bloom.

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

-Chelle

5. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

had the tank been cycled yet ?

6. Trickster

Trickster New Member

Everyones fancy methods like frequent water changes wont work. I figured out the sure fire method to clear it. I had a cloudy tank for months! i did regular water changes and all! i couldnt get it clr with any method.

So all i did is not do any water changes for 2.5 weeks. And it cleared up! its magic. I suggested the same thing to my lil bro, and it worked.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If the coudiness is caused by an uncycled tank, not doing water changes for 2 1/2 weeks could kill every fish in there.

-Chelle

8. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi Trickster, It's not magic it's called completing the cycle. As t_chelle16 has already pointed out, doing it the way you are you stand a good chance of losing all your fish.

9. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

as everyone said tricktster then you tank wasn't finshed cycling yet

10. Trickster

Trickster New Member

i was joking with "Magic" obviously. My tank was not fully cycled since it came with a fish i had to get it in there rite away, i had stick him in rite away. Eventually it did cloud up. Ive suggested that to all my friends, none of their fish have died with it.

So your choice, listen to the odds or the facts.

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The FACT is, if you throw a bunch of fish into an uncycled tank, ammonia WILL build up. If you do not do any water changes, it WILL reach dangerous levels and and will MOST LIKELY kill some, if not ALL of the fish.

-Chelle

12. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Since you want facts Trickster, here they are:
    1) High levels of ammonia with a low PH - TOXIC
    2) High levels of nitrites with a low PH - TOXIC
    3) Low levels of ammonia and nitrites with a low PH - TOXIC
    4) Low levels of ammonia with a high PH - TOXIC
    5) Low levels of nitrites with a high PH - TOXIC

The higher the PH the lower the level of ammonia or nitrite necessary to kill your fish.
    Adjusting the PH lower to reduce the effect of ammonia or nitrites on your fish would be foolish due to the high probability of killing your fish with PH shock.
    The safest course of action is to do partial water changes to keep the ammonia an nitrite levels down.
    Those ARE the facts.

13. red devil

red devil New Member

Trickster even if your fish didnt die ammonia comes from fish feces and uran so think about that for a second if you dont do a water change it stays in the water and that means there swimming in there own waste and im sure you wouldnt like it if you took a bathe in uran and feces and im sure it wouldnt be good for you so its not to good for fish either.

14. Trickster

Trickster New Member

!~!~! you put ammonia remover in ur tank!!!! YOu think im that stupid that i would let everything build up? I automatically assumed someone with such a big tank would know to use ammonia remover either in the filter or as a liquid.

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay, so if you are putting something in there to completely removes the ammonia, your tank will never cycle and you will be forced to constantly add the ammonia remover (no ammonia = no food for bacteria = no bacteria). If you are putting something in there that converts ammonia to a less toxic form, your fish will still suffer/die from nitrIte poisoning.

-Chelle

16. red devil

red devil New Member

thank you t_chelle