1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Myth or Fact

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by GodsChld, Aug 27, 2004.

1. GodsChld

GodsChld New Member

So one of the biggest problems with oscars is "hole in the head"......

I read an article that stated one way to prevent this is to use filters that do NOT have carbon in them......is this true or a myth.....what do you all think

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

im almost 100% sure its a myth....carbon helps to filter the water.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Neither? As far as I know, there hasn't really been any studies on it so it hasn't been proven either way.

But carbon really isn't necessary anyway. All it's needed for is to remove meds if you've used them.

-Chelle

4. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

So I don't need to be using carbon in my filters?

5. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Not sure, I just wanted one more post so i could have 200 a even number, I dont wanna post anymore i like the Number 200 :y_the_best: :mrgreen:

6. M_wm

M_wm New Member

201 :x about the carbon like chelle said its just to clear ur water im just repeating wat has been said that ive learned in the last like 6 months from here :y_the_best:

7. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi GodsChld, It would be nice if it were that simple, but I'm afraid the carbon statement is a myth. I can't tell you how many times I've seen fish with HITH in a tank with undergravel filters without carbon. As _Chelle stated, carbon is not absolutely necessary, but there can be other reasons for using carbon other than removing medications. If you use any type of water other than distilled in your tank you are adding all kinds of trace elements into your tank. The most obvious one being copper from your plumbing. Carbon will adsorb a large majority of those trace elements. Sorry I can't give you a surefire way to avoid HITH other than good aquarium maintenace, but hopefully you can find some of the other information here, useful.

8. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

lol, now you know how i felt at a thousand.
    Any way i would say myth, you need the carbon to keep your water smelling fresh, when i didnt have any in it smelled really bad.