1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need advice Spade or not? Dis vs Ad?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by Prncess, Aug 7, 2004.

1. Prncess

Prncess New Member

Hello,

I haven't been on the forum for awhile been in the middle of a transisitional move from my last apt to my parents place(temp move) to a new apt. Ugh! Princess is doing well at my parents place, she has a yard! Just a quick update.

Anyways, what I wanted to ask was, I have a little pom if no one knows it quite yet, but i was thinking about getting another boy pom, because they look just so cute and loving, well in the future at least. My hubby wants to get another pom, and he says might as well let them have babies, because he says it looks to painful for them to get spade/neutered. What are the disadvantages and advantages of having your dogs spade/neutered. The doctor says it's good for their health or something, but didn't go into specifics. Was wondering if anyone knew.

Also, if a dog knows where they are supposed to poo and pee, but doesn't go there does that mean that they are being disobedient? or what? Thank you? Thank you so much for anyone that read through everything! =)

2. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

Hi prncess, glad to hear from you! :eek:

NO, definitely don't let them have puppies!!! Breeding dogs is very costly (if they are properly treated), and involves a lot of risks! Breeding dogs should be left up to responsible, reputable, and well-educated (in the area of dog breeding) breeders. I know one of the members on Auspet, can't remember who, posted an article (or some sort of info.) on breeding and all the risks involved with doing so, and hopefully they will pop into this and re-post it. It really was an eye opener, and quite shocking, but so true.

If you did take your husband's suggestion, which I sincerely hope you don't, you will eventually have to spay and neuter (or one or the other, but both would be best). Why? If you don't, they are just going to keep on reproducing one litter after another...not good!

As nicely as I can say this, he's exaggerating by a mile! Sure, any surgery is painful and causes discomfort. However, neutering for male dogs is rather simple, and not terribly invasive. Most male dogs recover within just a couple of days. My two dogs (males) were neutered one day, slept for most of the next day, and were back to their "normal" selves the third day.

Spaying a female is a little more invasive than neutering a male. Females usually take a few extra days to recover, as opposed to males, but we're talking less than a week here in most cases. So obviously, the surgery isn't so invasive that it requires weeks of recovery, not at all!

Also, does your husband not understand the stress and pain that your pup will endure while pregnant!?!?

Disadvantages: Okay, your dog will be a little uncomfortable, and need a few DAYS (not weeks) to recover. Most vets do provide pain pills for your dog post-surgery, so that'll definitely make things much more comfortable for them. This disadvantage is so small and insignificant compared to the overwhelming advantages (both temperamentally and behaviorally)!

Advantages: Instead of me writing them all out, let me just post a link:
    http://www.vospca.org/archive/spayneut.html

He's most definitely correct! (Those benefits are explained in the above link.) Take his advice, and just get it done!!! If anything, please do it for the sake of your dog!

Several things could be causing this problem. 1) He could be showing you his disapproval of his new home (and/or any other minor or major changes that have taken place). 2) Some dogs will, for some reason or another, "forget" what housebreaking is all about. 3) There could be a medical issue behind it. 4) Since your pom is not neutered, he could very well be marking his territory (such a problem is often ceased with neutering, another advantage).

Hope all this helps! :D

3. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

These posts by Auspet members are very good in examining the risks and other such issues involved with breeding: (The particular post I was speaking of earlier isn't either of the following, but these are very good as well.)

Quote by susancude:

Quote by charmedagain-

:D

4. Prncess

Prncess New Member

Hello,

thank you for replying, i knew i could count on you! Well, right after i read that post, i was wondering how do i birth the babies??? LOL, i don't think i would have guts to do it, i was thinking that we could just take her to the hospital to let her have babies! LOL, i guess i wasn't thinking...i just thought it was more painful for them to go get it done. i saw one baby get it done, and it was soo quite and wouldn't play and didn't do anything i felt so bad for it. I guess it's just better for them, i wouldn't know because i'm not a doggy. But, thank you for the advice again!

Ummm, about my husband, he just trying to put it into human perspective, what if we were to get spayed/neutered. He doesn't want her to be hurt =). We are just going to worry about her a lot when she goes through with the procedure.

Thank you for your time! We will get her spayed soon she almost at that age! =)

5. nern

nern New Member

Nice response MyBabyShihPoo! :)

No. Dogs don't know spite so they don't intentially do things that they are not supposed to do just for fun or to get back at you.
    If the dog does'nt go where its supposed to go then it either does'nt really understand where its supposed to go, is marking or possibly has a health issue.

[/quote]

6. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

(Thank you nern! :wink: )

Prncess~

I'm glad the info was helpful!

Yes, I understand that he's looking at it from a human perspective, but in all honesty, there's no comparison. Dog's (animals in general) have an innate drive to reproduce as often as possible, and don't give it any thought whatsoever. Humans on the other hand, can reason and think about such choices as to reproduce or not, and the risks involved. The fact that our dogs will reproduce without any thought presents a great problem to our society (rise in the unwanted pet population which just end up in shelters). This is where human intervention is needed. Spaying and neutering is our way of helping...it's the most humane thing you can do!

Think of it this way, if you needed some sort of surgery to prevent or stop a serious problem, would you do it? I would assume your answer would be yes! You said yes b/c it was in your best interest, after all, it's YOUR health that we are talking about! You KNEW very well that there would be pain and discomfort as a result of the surgery, but you didn't want to risk your health! The same should be true for your dog!

That's completely understandable, no loving pet owner ever wants to see their dog in pain. But think about how high the risks of certain cancers and other health related issues increase in pets who are not spayed or neutered! Your pet will endure MUCH more pain and discomfort from those health problems, as opposed to the simple and so common spaying and neutering.

The surgery is quick and easily done, and the recovery time is speedy - in the vast majority of cases, just a couple of days. Puppies recover VERY quickly, which is exactly why most vets recommend the surgery be done early on in puppyhood (6 months is the norm).

Of course you are, but as long as you have a high quality, licensed vet, who truly is concerned about striving for the best for you pup, then you have nothing to worry about. The surgery is so commonplace now...nothing to fret over, believe me!

Sure your pup will be a little under the weather for a day or two, which is completely normal (as expected following any surgery, human or animal), but I think you'll be surprised as to just how quickly he'll be back to his normal little self. He thanks you for saving him from the likely health problems in the future due to not being altered! :y_the_best:

That's FANTASTIC, you've made a very wise and responsible decision...I applaud you for doing so!

Kind regards! :D