1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

NEED ADVISE!! My Angels are seemingly in trouble

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by rmahrt, Mar 19, 2005.

1. rmahrt

rmahrt New Member

Hope someone can provide some insight.
    I have 3 angels, all for about 1 year. In that year I have gotten to know them very well and they recognize me. Traditionally, during feeding times they see me coming and are at the surface.

The past two days, they (all 3) have been at the bottom, hiding amongst the plants or drift wood, and do not come to the surface for food, rather, waiting for the food to come to them. This morning they are just not eating at all. All other fish in the tank (royal pleco, neons, zebras) are doing just fine, acting normally.

I do notice that the eye on one side of the Koi Angel seems a little red, but not alarming. There is no evidence of gill irritation, fin damage, etc. Water temp is stable, water changes (20%) are religiously done every Saturday. Filter (Eheim) is cleaned every two months. Last cleaning was done 1 month ago. No new fish have been added in over 6 months.

ANy thoughts?

2. dude412

dude412 New Member

what are your readings for ammonia,nitrate,nitrite,and good ol ph

3. rmahrt

rmahrt New Member

Sorry....forgot to include that information. All readings are within the Safe / Normal spectrum of color. The only reading that is off is hardness of water, but, that is typical of our area (S.E. Wisconsin, States), not a deviation from what the water hardness usually is.

4. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

CAn we have actual #s of nitrates , nitites, PH, ammonia and how hard is the watr?

Can we have a picture of the red eye and all the fish.
    We also need a close up of each.

Can you get a picture of all the other fish together?

We might be able to get something.

Please!

Petz

5. rmahrt

rmahrt New Member

The PH / Nitrate test strips I use are color coded, but I recall there being numbers associated with the color code. I will get that information.

Photos, I will do my best, fish are not very good at walking the cat walk and posing for photos....I will use my digital and upload some images. Thanks.

6. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Here in west texas, the water is very hard. This reaks havok on angel fish and outright kills discus, they need soft water. I believe that the hard water takes a toll on angel fish and doesn't allow them to live very long lives. The easiest way to make soft water is by adding peat (which is sold for aquariums) to your cannister filter. This causes the water to look a little darker, but it is very good for these sensitive fishes.
    Make sure and tell us about your water parameters and the size of your tank! Do you have plenty of long plants in the tank for your angels to feel confident in?
    Good luck, and let us know.

7. rmahrt

rmahrt New Member

Good points....I do have a huge piece of African drift wood in there for multiple purposes: (i) for the pleco's to eat and suppliment diet, (ii) was told by the local fish store that this would assist in lowering the hardness of the water.

I only have one live plant in the tank and a few artificial. For the past year, they have never been shy and quite the opposite. The change in behavior is what really worries me. Last night I wrote it off that maybe a breeding cycle was kicking in, but again, over the past year I have never seen this behavior, and the fact that all three are exhibiting the same behavior is alarming. Again, all other fish are acting normal. Tank size is a 36 bow, Eheim professional filter, temp. 76' F., 20% weekly water changes with a tablespoon of aquarium salt.

I will provide PH/ Hardness/ Nitrate numbers this evening when back from work.

8. Bruce1962

Bruce1962 New Member

What about raising the water temp

I know that you're concerned over the sudden change in behavior, but you might want to bring the water temp up to 79-80. It is my understanding that Angels need their water a bit warmer. I recently added an Angel Fish and was advised to elevate my water temp a bit to accomodate. I was about 77...now I'm 79-80. My Angel is very content. It has not had any impact on my Cory's, Rosey Barbs, nor my new Blue Dwarf Gouramie. Just a thought although I think it would be odd if you've had a consistent environment for a long period of time and your Angels seemed fine until recently. Good Luck. Hope things work out OK for you and your Angels.

Bruce

9. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi rmahrt, Bruce 1962 is right that temperature is a little low for Angelfish. I usually run my tanks at 80 for most tropicals. Also if your doing 20% partial water changes once a week, for a 36 gallon tank that is about 7 gallons of water. One tablespoon of aquarium salt is enough to treat 10 gallons. Over the course of a year that would mean that you are most likely high on the salt content. I would recommend doing a couple of partial water changes over the next couple of weeks without adding any aquarium salt. By doing those two things I think you'll see your Angels snap out of it and become more active.