1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need Guppy Advice

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by toomanycats, Jun 16, 2004.

1. toomanycats

toomanycats New Member

I'm trying to find out what the maximum safe number of guppies is for standard 10 gallon tanks. One of our four just had LOTS of babies in one of our hospital tanks, and I don't want to risk making the others unhealthy by overcrowding the tank when the babies get big enough to put them back in my main tank.

Thanks!

P.S. We have four tanks - a 35 gal hex, a standard 10 gal, and two 2.5 gals that we keep running in case anyone should get sick or knocked up. For someone who never used to like fish, I've gone and gotten addicted. Sad.

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Its a stretch but the most 'd put in is a bakers dozen (13) , it may seem understocked but when their fullgrown the bioload should work out pretty well.

3. tina1

tina1 New Member

If its just the guppies in the tank I think you could stretch the 1" per gallon "rule" quite a bit and as Obelix suggested keep around a dozen but max out at 15. All of one sex of course to prevent this from happening again. This should be fine if you keep up with your water changes and gravel vacuuming :)

4. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

just dont sucka guppy up the vac!

hehe.

id say stick with the 1" rule too.

amy. x

5. toomanycats

toomanycats New Member

Thanks for the advice, folks!

6. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Anytime, feel free to PM me if you have any other guppy questions