1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need help acclimating a plant.

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Used, Feb 27, 2005.

1. Used

Used New Member

I am getting some live plants and i wondered how do you acclimate live plants. Is it like fish where you place bag in aquarium for 20 minutes and then every 5 minutes add aquarium water for 15 minutes? Pease help. :D

2. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

It misht be different for some plants but I've never heard of having to acclimatize your plants.

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I've never acclimated any of my plants. I just rinse them off in the sink (to get rid of any snails or other junk that may be hitchhiking on them) and plant them in the tank.

-Chelle

4. Fish Addict

Fish Addict New Member

same here

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, i have not acclimated my plants before and they have seemed to do fine....i dont think you have to b/c they dont have a central nervous system like a fish....fish go into shock with totally different waters and tempertures and have trouble breathing, plants dont.

6. tski22

tski22 New Member

There is no need to acclimate an aquarium plant. Rinse them off like Chelle said and then plant them. What kind of plant is it? One thing to remember is to fully cover the plants roots, or the pot it is in. Also what kind of light do you have. I have a passion for a planted tank so Im glad to help you. Any other questions feel free to ask me, I have a 15 gallon plant tank maybe Ill post a pic. -tl

7. Used

Used New Member

It's a Anacharis and it is in a 2.5 gallon. I know they grow tall but I'll trim them when they get big. For light I have a 15 watt pc. I have a question the guy at the lfs where I bought it said that if I cut pieces off and stick them in the gravel they will sprout roots and grow, is his true?. I would like to see pictures of your tank.

8. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

idk about sprouting roots, but i know they will grow, i have done it before.

9. tski22

tski22 New Member

If you want tot ake a clipping its best to have a section of that palnt that is relatively small in size and have a cluster of roots attached to the end. jsut a piece of leaf or a stem in the gravel wont do anything. -tl

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, with anacharis then whole thing is a giant stem, so your best bet would be to cut off one of the pieces that start to grow on the sides rather than cut the whole plant in half.