1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

need help with cichlids =) i'd appreciate help

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by freakishnerd, Jan 16, 2007.

1. freakishnerd

freakishnerd New Member

i'd love to be able have some cichlids in my 5ft tank because of their beautiful nature but it's fully planted and i don't want to jepordise my precious plants. i also have angels in there that i'd like to keep.

can anyone suggest some more mild-mannered cichlids that won't eat my plants or hopefully not attack (much) my other fishies? i've tried the severum but it seems to like munching on my hygro =(

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually angels are cichlids. ;)

What other fish are in the tank right now? What is the actual volume of the tank (or the dimensions of it - length, width, and height)?

-Chelle

3. freakishnerd

freakishnerd New Member

i have some 6 large angels, 6 buena aires tetras, 6 congo tetras, 2 kribensis, 2 cockatoo dwarf cichlids, a school of rainbow fish, a siamese flying fox, and a pleco.

the tank is 250 litres.

i know that angels, kribensis and cockatoo dwarfs are cichlids but i was hoping to put in some larger cichlids (probably south american but i don't really mind) along the lines of the Green Severum.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Unfortunately, your tank is already severely overstocked. You actually need to be removing a vast majority of fish rather than adding more.

Your tank is 66 gallons.

Angels should have 10 - 15 gallons each x 6 = 60 - 90 gallons
    Buenos aires and congo tetras need about 2 - 3 gallons each x 12 = 24 - 36 gallons.
    Kribs & dwarf cichlids need 3 - 5 gallons each x 4 = 12 - 20 gallons
    Flying foxes need about 20 gallons each
    And plecos (if it's one of the more common species) need in the neighborhood of 40 - 75 gallons each.

So without even counting the rainbows, you're already around 300 gallons worth of fish in a 66 gallon tank.

-Chelle