1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need helpful suggestions for my rottie

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by leslieb8186, Oct 4, 2006.

1. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

Well I have a 5 1/2 month old rottweiler. Last night I brought him in and noticed he didn't look like he felt good right off the bat I knew there was something wrong cuz he didn't go straight to his food bowl. He slept with me on the bed last night didn't eat and today he's been throwing up even the water he's been drinking i've tried giving him soft food but he throws it up. He has a bad case of diarehha he was recently put on a anti-inflamitory pills for his ankle could that be whats wrong or am I just missing something. I don't have the money right now to take him to a vet I was curious if anyone knows of a home remedie? I can use til I can take him to the vet. Thank You!

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

you might want to check him for dehydration. Pull up the skin between his shoulder blades. If it snaps back easily he's hydrated, if it remains tented he needs fluids and a vet.
    Only a vet can tell you what is wrong with him. And being a puppy you shouldn't wait - too many things can happen.

3. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would call the vet and see what htey suggest, also anti-inflammatory drugs have some really bed side effects, it could be this is what is making him sick. I would see if you can work with your vet on a payment plan and get him in, because diahhrea can cause severe dehydration,

4. tuttifrutti

tuttifrutti New Member

He's a little old for parvo, but that's what it sounds like. He was vaccinated for parvo virus, right?

5. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

Suggestions on Rottie that has a slight case of parvo

Thank you all for your suggestions. I took Dante into the vet this morning after bein woke up with the smell of blood and raw death through out the house. He has a slight case of parvo I have never heard of a "slight" case but he said it wasn't full blown thing is tho he's had all his shots. So i'm still trying to figure out how he got it. I got to thinkin careless people round my coltasac lets their dogs run round like its no big deal and a neighbor told me she seen a few dogs run up to the fence where Dante was that they possibly had it. I have no idea I'm workin on keeping him hydrated every hour on the hour i give him three or more nose bulb full of Pedialyte what I can force down his throat he's still drinking water so I think I caught it in time. But also if anyone ANYONE has anymore suggestions PLEASE feel free to leave them I haven't been thro somethin like this before I have no idea whut i'm doing but I'm doing what I possibly can and more. Thank you!

Leslie

6. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

There is a Parvo Sticky at the top of the page that has lots of information.

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

As Eliza recommended please check out the parvo sticky, loads of great advice on dealing with Parvo

and please keep usposted on how he is doing

8. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

update on rottie pup with parvo

ok well Dante is keeping down some of his pedialyte not much he tries to drink water but when he does that he throws up to quickly should I let him drink water or keep him on the pedialyte also is Reglan a good drug to settle his stomach or what it says on the pill is pliva 430 I have 4 of them should I cut them in half to save some cuz it says 1 pill twice a day I need some help!!! and what should i do when he needs to go potty a friend suggested i pick him up take him outside let him do his thing then pick him back up and put him back in the bathroom..if anyone has suggestions let me know. Thank you!

Leslie

9. Chezza

Chezza New Member

What did the vet do?????
    A slight case seems a bit weird to me, Im not even sure if you can vaccinate because its in there system, its a nasty nasty virus that can kill..
    I hate to say this but Unfortunately, parvo is often fatal. :?

Thats why I asked what "DID" the vet do???
    "QUICK" reaction is the key big time

10. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

day by day update

Dante is still alive, he got the energy to jump on the baby gates i have to keep him in the bathroom and whine to let me know he needed to go potty. He hasn't pooped in the bathroom or outside i only let him go potty then its back inside for more pedialyte. Is that a good sign that he hasn't pooped? i tested him with water earlier but he threw it up after alittle while its not as nasty as yesterday. Answer to your question what did the vet do as far as what? he gave him a antibiotic shot, a shot to help his stomach and told me to come home force pedialyte down his throat and give him his nausea pills 1 tablet twice a day i got one down him bout 2:20 this morning after bringing him back in. He's resting right now so I hope just hope he pulls thro it he's a champ! :y_the_best:

Leslie

"The Few, The Proud, The Marines Wife"

11. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Ohhh thats good to hear, :eek: Im so glad hes pulling up better, yea just wanted to know what the vet did for him, wasnt sure if they had just sent him home with no treatment at all..Glad they did treat him..
    I really hope he comes through..Good stuff.Keep us informed, we want to hear you say he's bounding around.. :y_the_best: :D

12. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

Getting better slowly but surely!

Today Dante came to me willingly he's moving round better, I'm sooo happy :eek: He was doing better after I gave him some sugar water not much but alittle bit. Thats ok I understand yah I would've been raising hell if they just sent me home with no treatment. I already had a problem that a rottie had killed a child earlier that morning and people were looking at him like he needed to be put down! But I'll keep everyone updated Thank you everyone for your support!

Leslie

13. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

update on Dante Bocephus

Today is Saturday this morning Dante is bouncing around bein his old self he jumped on the bed this morning and gave me kisses for my husband took him out to potty then he ran back in as fast as he could he's eating his puppy chow again so I beleive he'll be fine! :D

Leslie

14. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

Update and once again another question

Ok today is Monday YAY!! Dante is spunky as always, I've heard once dogs have gotten parvo their immuned to it is this true? I figured they could still get it..and I have a ? for someone if they read this when do I need to start him on his heartworm chews? The vet told me the first of this month but I wasn't for sure since he'll be 6 months at the end of this month I think the 24th. But I really do appreciate everyones suggestions and comments this means alot yall have helped me out trimindesly! but I shall keep everyone updated again Thank You so much!!

15. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Thats excellent Leslie, I am sooo pleased for you :eek: :mrgreen: You sound very very happy, and so you should.. I am so glad he is back to his old self again.. Good stuff... :D

16. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Well done Leslie! You really got him through a tough one! And, he has proved himself to be a tough little guy!

Take care of him and enjoy :eek:

17. leslieb8186

leslieb8186 New Member

Thank you very much!

I just wanted to let everyone know I really appreciate all the help. That touches me that "I CAN" find someone to talk to bout situations. :D Dante is doing great he's very healthy hopefully for the rest of his life..I know rotties have the worst immune system but I will do my very best to keep him in top shape. Again Thank you all I wish I could return the favor the appreciation will not ever go unoticed Thank You! :y_the_best:

18. DMikeM

DMikeM New Member

It would be a good idea to bleach your yard and disinfect your home now. Parvovirus lives for a long time in the ground and on things.
    I have seen dogs over a year old get parvo before and not pull through, but medicine has gotten better now and I think dogs may be developing a better immunity to the virus than when we had the out breaks up here in the mountains.