1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need home for sick cat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by karenmcgovern, Aug 9, 2005.

1. karenmcgovern

karenmcgovern New Member

My Mom is moving in with us in a week or two, and my son ins allergic to her cat so she can't come. I'm not sure what our options are. The cat, Bessie, has diabetes and requires daily injections. She also has bladder control problems. I don't know if it's possible to find a home for such a cat. She is a 12 year old Persian, very affectionate. It would break my Mom's heart to have her put to sleep. Are there any organizations that could help? Any other ideas? THanks!

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I'm a foster for a group who rescues Siamese cats - so I'm going to be realistic with you in regards to what you are talking about.
    Rescue groups work on very limited funds. The odds of them being able to financially take on an ill cat is going to be not very good. It's different if the cat does develop health issues while in a rescue's care, but to take on one that knowingly has this many health problems is going to be tough.
    And forget shelters....the cat won't make it into the general population at all.
    The other thing you want to think about is how is this older ill cat going to adjust to losing it's purrson. Is it fair to the cat to expect it to lose the only person its known at this age and in this state of health?
    Chances are good the cat will refuse to eat - thus compromising its health even more.
    I've fostered some older cats who have lost their only purrson and it's a long road to get one who doesn't have health problems back to wanting to live....forcefeeding and lots of worry on the foster person's part.
    If you are willing to subject your mother's old ill cat to this - try a rescue group. But personally - for the cat it would be less stressful to let her go over the Rainbow Bridge.
    BTW - I am also allergic to cats I have 4 of my own and I foster.

4. kismet

kismet New Member

I'm going to be realistic with you too. If you private message me and tell me where you are located I will do a search to find out if there are any cat sanctuaries in your state or adjoining state who can help. And yes, some sanctuaries have even taken severely disabled pets and were glad to be able to do so. No use putting a cat down until those avenues have been checked out.