1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need some help with a wound...

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by jay, Jan 28, 2005.

1. jay

jay New Member

hey guys, Mick was playing with a friends dog who he has played with since they were pups. I always stay close while they play, well today they got a little too rough and the other dog grabbed Micks front leg. We quickly seperated them, but Mick ended up with a wound at the inner top of his leg. The vet is closed and just needed some advive on what to do. I called the emergency line, but the lady rushed me off the phone and just said put some peroxide and some antibiotic ointment on it. Any advice would be great. thanks

2. someday

someday New Member

If the wound is not very deep..just cleaning it with some soap and water well and keeping it clean by bandaging it should be fine (if he's a house dog though and it's not bleeding, and he's not bothering it a lot, I would just leave it open)...I don't recommend peroxide...it does get out dirt, but it also boils out any good new tissue that will help heal the wound...flushing it well should clean it just as well..If the wound is still bleeding, hold pressure on it with a clean cloth, and get him to a vet if you can't get the bleeding stopped. He should be fine till morning otherwise..of course if there is skin hanging off or you think there's serious muscle damage, call the emergency number back and make them see you...there's only a certain window of time skin can be stitched back together..

3. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

flushing it with salt water would be good too. you can also bandage it up if you like, but when you do this put some sticky tape around the edges of the bandage and on the fur once done so it doesnt wiggle its way off [bandages slip off fur really easily].

4. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

I agree with the peroxide statement, don't use it. It should heal up just fine on its own. I wouldn't bandage it either and if he is an outside dog, keep him inside until its healed. Clean it out and you can put antibiotic ointment on it, and flush it out everyday with sterile water and dry it out by using a Q-Tip. Just keep cleaning/drying and it should heal up fine.

5. goob

goob New Member

You can use peroxide diluted 1/2 and 1/2 with water, and it won't cause inhibit healing like at full strength. We keep betadine around too, and I've diluted the peroxide with that for punctures, it bubbles any debri out well. If it's not serious, I'd clean it once really good, then just watch it. Keep it from scabbing, as that will let infection pool up under, but other than that, leave it alone. If you notice any signs of infection (redness, pus, swelling, heat around the wound, lethargy), get straight to the vets to check it and get antibiotics. Dogs generally heal themselves pretty well, so I don't like to mess with them unless they need it.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

when wylie got attacked by coyotes last year I did a search on how to clean a bite wound (possible rabies) even though she has her shots, it said good old soap and warm water is the best along with betadyne and no to peroxide and neosporine.

hope he is feeling better

honeybear

7. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Betadine solution is one of the best things to use!!

I use Pennicillian to prevent infection.

8. Angie

Angie New Member

Wow! Thats smart.
    :roll:

9. jay

jay New Member

Well I put some betadine on it and left it uncovered. A little fluid is coming out of it but it looks good. He was limping after his nap last night but I think it was stiff. This morning he was limping but I got him to move around a little and it looked to be ok. He is moving around well and ate all his food so I think he will be ok. He is licking it a lot, I guess this is ok. Anyway thanks for the quick responses and all the help. But let me know if I should cover it to keep him from licking it.

10. jay

jay New Member

Oh yeah, special thanks to otmmy205 for the great advice. Don't know what I would have done without it. :roll:

11. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I dont know of this is a wives tale or not, but I have heard its good for a dog to lick its wounds, its has good healing effects.

12. someday

someday New Member

I've heard this too..but don't know if it's true..dogs mouths have a lot of bacteria in them..but the wound be open to the air is good for it...I'd continue to wash it daily just to keep the bacteria level down..

13. kyles101

kyles101 New Member

otmmy205, i think you should stick to the fish forum if you have nothing nice to say.

14. Jas

Jas New Member

Fri Jan 28, 2005 1:12 pm
    As per my PM - We have zero tolerance for this kind of behavior & language on the Auspet boards.

I suggest this cease immediately or you will find your membership terminated.

Understand?

Moderators

15. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I believe the reason it is good for a dog to lick a wound is because they have iodine in their saliva. I've also been told that dogs' mouths are actually cleaner than humans.