1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need some ideas to get dog in SUV!

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by hermann muenster, Apr 5, 2006.

1. hermann muenster

hermann muenster New Member

Does anyone have any tips on how to help my #80+ pup get into my SUV? I have never had this problem with ANY other dog.
    I have enabled him by lifing him into the back of the truck until he was about 60pounds. Now he is way to heavy and big for me to pick up!
    He will put his front paws in the car and then waits (and whines) for me to pick his rear end up! I have been doing this but again, he has become too heavy to do it on a regular basis.

I know he can jump - you should see him play! And he can bound up and down steps three at a time!

I have been careful with him in and out of the truck up until this point because jumping in and out of these SUV's can be very rough on their bodies! I still feel that I aggrevated my Golden's hip problems by letting him come with me every time I left the house - and at that time in my life - I was in and out of the car 4-8 times a day! You know - school, sports, shopping, errands and visiting friends. As he got older - I really think all of that jumping in and out of the truck took a toll on him.

I have hopes of carting with this pup and have been careful about his jumping. But now, he his just a big (very strong) baby and won't jump up!

I need to get things going with him soon because next week he is going to "obedience school"! It is really embarassing to have this big dog crying and whining asking me to pick him up and put him in the truck and trying to climb into my arms to lift him out of the truck!

Thanks!

2. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

3. hermann muenster

Yes, I do need a ramp and will get one sometime in the future. ---- but did you see the prices for those things? My husband has wanted to make one but is concerned about anchoring it on the truck securely so it won't slide. There were also weight issues and hinging issues for him.

Some years back I was going to get one for our Golden but the good ones were so expensive and the ones at the 'big box' pet stores looked flimsy. As things turned out - because he was getting so old and I was watching his weight so carefully - he lost enough weight that I was able to hoist his back end up. I was able to put my arm under him to help him out too.

Now with this little (?) guy - he is almost 27" tall and it isn't that much effort to make the hop up.

I was at the pet store the other day getting him the badcuz toy and he wouldn't get out of the truck. The store was busy and everyone that walk past us stopped and laughed at him for being such a big baby! He loved the attentiona and let everyone pet him - but he wouldn't get out of the car! It was embarassing. I finally just left him in the truck - and went in the store without him. His loss - there are a lot of people in there that like to pet cute dogs -- and he loves people!

4. hermann muenster

Well - it's time for me to pick up from school - I'm allowing myself some extra time to see if I can get him into the truck.

Wish me luck!

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

WalMart has those step things pretty cheap

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

how about a ramp like this one?

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p ... 2002&Nty=1

or a step stool?

I saw a woman the other day that has trouble getting into her her big truck and she had this step stool she brought out. It looks so much easier to both manuver for you and looks real easy for a dog to sue.

I have a ramp similar to the one above we got it for Jake when we go boating.

Jake loves to go jumping off the back of our boat and at #100 and now that he is older it was getting almost impossible for my husband to bring him in. It works pretty well

7. hermann muenster

Oh well, I am glad that I gave myself a lot of extra time.
    It took about 10 minutes to coax him into hopping up in the car.
    After that much effort - I decided that it would be best to not take him with me - it took him just a couple of minutes to decide to hop out. As soon as he got out of the car - my old girl jumped in and decided that she was going to go for a ride!

When I got home, I tried to show him how to step up on a very sturdy and wide stool I have. He just didn't get any part of that concept - although it didn't help having my old girl jumping in and out of the car!

Actually - I think that my little guy learning from watching her jumping in and out. I still have until Tuesday (that's when the class starts) to get him used to getting in and out of the car!

The foster-smith ramps look like the best quality for the most reasonable price! I like foster-smith products. I bought a beautiful (and expensive) orthopedic-type bed for our old Golden. It is still in good condition. The pup has now claimed it for his own.
    I don't think the stairs will fit in the car with the dog.

I'll keep practicing!

8. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Have you tried tossing some sort of ultra-yummy treat or favorite toy into the car and seeing if he will jump in after it?

9. hermann muenster

Jamiya - tossing the treat in the car seemed to get him to try the hardest to jump! I am going to keep working with that idea. Hell had better get in the truck to come with me to get more liversausage!!!

I think all he needs is to jump in a few times and he'll get the feel of what he is doing and his little worries will go away.

It is so embarassing to have this big puppy wanting to jump into my arms to be lifted into the car! I have a couple of bruises and scratches on my shoulders from him trying to coax me into picking him up!!!

Yesterday I got him in the car twice. Each attempt took a lot of time and a whole lot of whining and yowling.
    Getting out -- he's getting a little better - maybe it was the big praise, hugs, and treats that did it.

I can't believe what a big baby he is!!

10. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

One of my dogs hesitates getting into my car. She's fine getting into my husband's car, but I just got a new car last summer and she didn't want anything to do with it! I had to lift her in the first few weeks. Now I can usually coax her in. Following the other dog helps, too.

My daughter and I still laugh over the day we were leaving PetsMart and she would only put her front paws up into the hatch. I lifted her back end, but she stayed stiff so there I was, holding her up in mid-air while her front feet were just barely in the car, and I was laughing so hard I didn't have the strength to push her in. LMAO.

11. hermann muenster

Well, - he got to take a ride!!!! Wheeee!
    He sort of cheated a little getting in -- After he put his front paws in the car - I guided his back paw up to the tow shelf. We don't have a tow hitch so it is plugged with a plastic piece and is like a little step! He got in after about the third try.
    After I picked my daughter up from school and we got home - there was just a little resistance came out of the car.

I think he just needs more practice - I'll let him try it again later.

The treats really are a great incentive!

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Once he successfully gets into the car, have a little party for him. Praise him lavishly and give him a whole pile of treats. If going for a ride is something he looks forward to, then take him for a little ride even if it is just around the block. If he won't get in, then quietly put him back in the house and leave without him (even if you just drive around the block).

Once he gets the hang of it, if you feel like he is stalling when he is perfectly capable of getting in himself, you can start giving him a set amount of time (10 seconds, 20 seconds, whatever) and if he doesn't get in during that time he goes back in the house. Gradually shorten the amount of time you give him.