1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Need to ask a Q for a friend about ACD

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by AnnaBelle, Sep 1, 2005.

1. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

Hey, my good friend doesn't have a computer so I want to ask you something for her. She just got a new australian cattle dog puppy that is 9 weeks old. She has ducks, chickens, horses and pigs. She wants to know how should she go about showing the new pup to the other animals. Will the pup grow up to get along, especially with the ducks and chickens? I told her that they should be okay with the ducks and chicks, because ACD's are in the herding group. Am I right about what I told her? Thank you I am just trying to find out as much info. as I can for her.

2. Maisey

Maisey New Member

I am sure you will get lots of good advice.

I have three herding type dogs, two of which I got when they were 8-9 weeks old. The third I got when she was nearly two years old. All of them would probably chase anything that moved quickly. Witt and Dooley, the boys that I got early were taught a "leave it" command and both are really good about it now. I'll assume that she does not want this dog for herding purposes. Teaching the "leave it" command is not difficult, but it takes time and patience. Put the pup on a leash or long training lead and start with something that has value to the pup, but not too much. Maybe a piece of hot dog. Place it in the middle of the floor and walk near it, not so close that the pup can actually get the hot dog...but close. When he tries to go for it, say "leave it". Treat him with a high value treat when he turns his attention to you rather than the hot dog. I use string cheese..they love it. At first you may have to help him turn his attention away with a small tug on the leash. Make a huge deal with lots of praise when he looks away from the hot dog. You can do this with toys as well. Keep sessions short and when done tell the pup a realease word like "free" and let him have the hot dog. This is an easy one to practice because you will find many things he wants to get into that you don't. Be consistent with the command and always reward big. When he gets pretty good at this game..you can up the distraction or temptation to cats outside..the ducks, chickens. I think something that is important is to prevent the pup from experiencing the chase to begin with. The idea is to make him "leaving it" a more rewarding experience than chasing it. Dooley has an excellent recall, very trust worthy...he is four years old. Witt is pretty good but not nearly as consistent or trustworthy, he is only two and his breeding is such that he is maturing very slowly. Annie the dog I got at two years of age....has HUGE herding/prey drive and was never taught anything prior to my getting her. I wouldn't trust her at all at this point. Each dog is different, the pup may be interested and he may not be. It's easy enough to test on the end of a long line...where everyone stays safe. Teaching a solid recall and useful commands like "leave it" are important in so many situations.

3. AnnaBelle

AnnaBelle New Member

Thanks so much for all that info. I'm sure she'll appreciate it!