1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Neutering aftermath issues

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by elizavixen, Apr 14, 2004.

1. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

Indiana was neutered friday. he was really swollen but the vet said the swelling would go down. well, its tuesday and it hasn't gone down (i dare say it has increased a bit). it is about the size of a plum??? I felt it and it was hard (not rock hard but definately not liquid). So, i called the vet and I'm bringing him in this afternoon to look at it.

First, does this sound like a problem? I'm all worried now. The area is still kind of red but nothing else looks wrong. Indy is acting fine.

Second, should I have to pay for them to look at it or fix it if it is a problem? This is sort of a delicate issue. I dont have alot of $$ and I figure if they messed up, they should fix it. but I do know vets like to charge everything they can. I certainly don't want to create problems with the vet but I paid $230 to have the dog neutered which was a lot more than I thought it would be, now if i have to take him back and he needs other stuff done, well, that is a problem monetarily wise.

Just looking for other input.

2. moose

moose New Member

$230 for a neuter??? what in the world?! was this just for a neuter or were blood tests run as well, vaccines given, or any extenuating circumstances, etc? that's a ridiculous price if this was *just* a neuter.

as far as whether you should pay for further treatment -- i think it depends on what is causing the swelling. if something was not properly sterilized during the procedure, or the vet did not correctly suture/prepare the incision, i'd insist they foot some of the bill. however, if it's an infection that has unfortunately occurred and is not clearly the vet's fault, i think you should take care of the costs. While severe infections don't happen in the majority of neuters, it is a risk you accept by having your animal fixed.

hope everything turns out ok with your dog.

3. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

$140 for the neuter b/c he is over 40 lbs.
    $60 for pre-antesthetic tests they guilt-tripped me into
    $30 for pain med injection

4. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I called my current vet a while back and asked about the cost of a neuter (when I saw those Golden puppies in the pet store) and I was shocked when they told me about $250! I thought spay/neuters ran about $100-150, which is another reason I am shopping for a new vet. I think my current vet is overly pricey. There are about 5 vets that share the practice, so you'd think they could afford to charge LESS than a vet who has to pay for the rent and utilities, etc, all by themselves.

Anyway, it does sound like you should bring him back in, poor guy. I agree that if it is something caused by their negligence, then you should not have to pay. Unfortunately, I'm sure they will call it "complications" and hand you a bill.

Don't feel bad about the pre-surgical tests. I *always* get those done. You never know if there is an underlying problem that would make anaesthesia even more dangerous.

Jamiya

5. bullylove1

bullylove1 New Member

yeah, spay/neutur prices have gone pretty high over the years. Its going to be about $200 for Harley this month. The vet said the cost goes by weight of the dog. The more weight, the more anesthetic they have to give i guess. I as well am shopping for a new vet because mine is afraid of me breed and is very uneasy every time Harley is in there. All she ever wants to do is give kisses, but I guess to each their own.

I personally think that the cost for spay/neutur should be dropped considerably. Vets these days are all about advocating to spay animals and stop breeding, but watch them charge you up the butt to do it. Thats why we had to wait. The week of Harley's original spay she had an acciden that cost over $200 bucks, well there went that money. Now we are finally getting it done, but not before she went through heat again. She was so sad. We are all happy its over now and will be her last.

6. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I would watch it. someone else just posted here cant remember who it was the that just had their dog spayed and it formed a little bump.
    There are low cost spay/neutre clinics, vaccinations clinics. we have one here that does it the first of the month at half price.

I know awhat you mean Jimiya about costs, I have been thinking of switching vets too.

honeybear

7. elizavixen

elizavixen New Member

The problem is that I am VERY particular about vets. I have been to several in the area and finally found one I like so I hate to dispute over money. I also let the overcharging slide a little bit b/c this particular clinic does a lot of rescue/adoption work so I figure a lot of my $$ is going towards that which I don't mind. but I can only handle so much!

I just got back from Indiana's vet and he didn't seem to worried about it. He said he had a reaction to the suchers(sp?). He put some ointment on it and gave me more ointment to put on it at home and also antibiotics. And they gave him one of those stupid e-collars so he wouldn't irritate it. I am bringing him back thurs for him to check it again. AND, they didn't charge me anything which I am quite pleased about!

I thought about doing the lowcost spay/neuter thing but I am guilty with associating those clinics with lower quality and I just couldn't bring myself to skimp on it. If something went wrong I would have NEVER forgiven myself.

*edit
    Something else I just thought of, never go to those vets in Petsmart -- Banfield. They are the worst at overcharging. I took Sam in there b/c she had an ear infection and I walked out with a $100 bill. All i wanted was some freaking ointment, I knew exactly what was wrong but they insisted on doing tests, etc. They even charged me for "waste disposal fee". That is a first.

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

on another dog board I frequent someone was given a price of NINE HUNDRED DOLLARS for a neuter!!!! I think I'd shop around on that one.

My vet charges $60 for the pre-surgical bloodwork and I believe about $125 for the neuter. No pain meds at least with a neuter. Didn't offer any for my dog with a spay either.

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

This is one of the reasons I have not had my two poms spayed yet. They each wiegh a little under 5lbs and the vet wants $180 ea just for the surgery. I am looking into low cost spay and neuture clinics. I just cant pony up the cost after all the meds and tests. Plus they want to keep them overnight for observation which they then charge a kennel cost. When I first started going to this vet I payed $75 to have a full grown chow/husky mix spayed. This was only about 4 years ago I didnt think the cost would go up that much. So anyway sorry to get so off topic just had to rant for a minute and hopefully I will find a new vet that doesnt cost so much or at least offers payment plans.

10. catrastrophe

catrastrophe New Member

My vet charges $55-$85 for a canine neuter. He doesnt charge a visit for a neuter either. Normally it totals about $105 for neuter, shots, and pre- panal. I worked there, and that was without an employee discount. :) But I had a cat neutered at another vet, and it cost us $135 just for the neuter. :x My in-laws had a cat spay,and a cat neuter, plus shots and boarding for three cats for three days....the cost....$635! That is without FeLV and FIV testing, or any blood work!! :shock: :shock: :shock: