1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New baby cocktiels Question

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Celeste, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Celeste

Celeste New Member

My husband's cocktiels just had a baby hatch..

My question is how soon can he clean out the next box? We found an article that says we need to clean it out every few days..Since the other babies aren't hatched yet, do we need to wait until they're hatched?

Here's the article I am talking about
    http://www.birdsnways.com/wisdom/ww22eiv.htm

Thanks!

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi Congratulations on the new arrival, I wait until all eggs have hatched depending on the size of the clutch its usually around 2weeks.

Before i handle the chicks i rub my hands in plain wood shavings to get rid of any scent on my hands This way i know the parents wont reject the chicks.

Have the parents been given soft foods such as whole wheat bread boiled pasta and rice, boiled eggs mashed up.

Good luck with the chicks and hope they give you just as much fun as mine give me.

mike

3. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Thanks! Well, 3 of them weren't any good :( So, now it's just one baby.

We've been giving them bird food, but I am going to go ahead and give them pasta and rice..

Thank you so much for your advice..BTW, if you have anymore tips, please share!

4. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi sorry to hear about the other eggs glad 1 chick is ok and doing well.
    You can buy a food from the petstore that is made for feeding parents and for hand feeding chicks it is also used for weaning of chicks as it makes it easier for them to feed for themseleves when they get older.

It has all the vitamins,minerals,irons and stuff that the female needs and perfect to raise strong healthy chicks.

I cant remember what its called but its an egg food for parakeets(budgies) cockatiles and other birds.

mike

5. Celeste

Celeste New Member

Great! Thank you! We'll definitely make a trip to the pet store and look for that! :)