1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New budgie worries

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by paarrot, May 16, 2004.

1. paarrot

paarrot New Member

Hello all,

We got a new little parakeet 4 days ago -- I haven't had a bird in years! He is probably around 5 mos. old, and seems to have been hand fed as a baby, since he doesn't mind being held and touched (he loves head rubs!).

I know he's scared of his new home, but rather than being skittish, he seems very lethargic and fluffed most of the day. He's doing better with eating throughout the day, especially from my hand, but at night I don't think he is sleeping at all since he is very inactive and sooo quiet during the day - even in the morning.

Maybe this is normal "shock" for a bird in a new home, but is there anything I can do to help him be more comfortable? Petting and talking doesn't seem to perk him up really, although it doesn't bother him. :(

2. Obelix

Obelix New Member

My neighbors who have like 3 parrots and countless parakeets said that for the first 2 or 3 weeks thats normal but anything after that you might want to look into.

3. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I would probaly try and put the cage in a calm and quiet spot were he/she doesn't feel very lonely but yet in a place where he is in contact with your family. Also if the cage is somewhere where there is alot of light, try to put it somewhere where it is darker during the night and cover is cage with a blanket. I think that he is just going through a phase, some of my baby budgies were like that, but he hopefully will get over it in a couple weeks, but continue with what your doing now!