1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New budgie

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by cowanm, Mar 23, 2004.

1. cowanm

cowanm New Member

I have a new budgie who is about 4 months old. Can't tell if its a male or female just yet! We just brought it home two days ago and it is doing very little... including eating and drinking. We have been trying all the "tricks of the trade" (e.g., talking to it, feeding it treat seed, covering up part of the cage for comfort/sense of safety etc.). I am worried mostly because it has only chirped twice and it has not had any water yet and only some treat seed in two days. Also, it BARELY moves around the cage. It doesn't explore and if it tries to move it won't fly... it just steps. Please help! Am I being too ambitious for our new birdie too soon?
    Micheal

2. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

:mrgreen: Hi Cowanm,

I have 3 budgies and when I brought them home they didn't make much noise or move around their cage very much. 2 of them(Chick and Buster) never seemed to be drinking their water but every day their water would go down and they only ate at night when their cage was covered and no one was around.

Since it just came home 2 days ago I would say that it's probably nervous/scared about being in a new environment, but just keep an eye on him/her and don't fuss over it because sometimes it makes them more nervous. It should eat when it's ready.

Hope this helps.

My birds always walk and climb around their cage. I've never seen them actuall try to fly in it unless it's at night when they flutter up to their swing to sleep.

3. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi since you only had him/her for 2days he will be very nervous as everything is new and is unsure.
    he/she will eat within a day or 2 if eating treat seeds then atleast it is having something.

When he/she is about 5-6months old you will be able to tell its sex i can usually tell there sex from about 4months well i could with mine anyway.

Give him/her time and will soon learn your not going to hurt it but want to care for it.

Mike :D

4. kathy5

kathy5 New Member

I just gotmy 4th budgie yesterday & so far it had not done a thing even chirp which i'm surprized at with the other 3 going at it but he is taming up nicely

5. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Give them some time don't worry they'll be alright in like a week! :D