1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

new Cat Chow commercial

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by lil96, Apr 13, 2005.

1. lil96

lil96 New Member

Has anyone seen the new cat chow (i think) commercial for new indoor recipe cat food? Do you really think there is a difference/ Like indoor cats are really missing something that outdoor cats get? Just wondering about it.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I've seen a few companies making "indoor" cat food. My cats eat regular dry food like inside/outside cats would and they are healthy and at a good weight.
    My opinion....Friskies, Cat Chow, Meow Mix - all of these lower grade foods are making the "indoor" cat foods and I think it's cause they now realize they are starting to lose a huge market to the better grade of dry foods out there.
    They understand that inside-only cats might be a bit more pampered (I AM NOT SAYING THAT OUTSIDE CATS AREN'T but there is the mentality out there than it's just a cat so it should be outside and it's that mentality that'll buy any old store brand food cause it's cheap and it's just a cat) and their owners spend a lot of money and do a lot of research on food quality, therefore convince the consumer that this food is ideal for an inside-only cat regardless of the quality and they'll get a market.

3. nern

nern New Member

Exercise. No doubt most outdoor cats are more active and get more exercise than most indoor cats would. I do know some fat lazy outdoor cats though. I agree with Mary that the "indoor" formulas are more of a marketing gimick than anything else. They are basically designed with fewer calories for the less active indoor cats....very similar to "lite" or "senior" diets.

4. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

..... :lol: :lol:
    I only 'discovered these kind of forums about 4 months ago and I go into 3 different forums, this is the only pet one and Ive noticed that while this doesnt really happen in the others but in here you have to be soooo careful in what you say in complete innocence or trying to be helpful because somtimes people seem to either get extremely offended without that being your intention or will pick apart something you do say as they feel their opinion is the only one that matters. Fascinating!!! I do think if any medical advice is given it should be accurate and never used as an 'alternative' to seeking professional veterinary advice but everything else I think is based on our own experiences. (Just an observation)

Anyway, I did have some things to add to this topic. :D

First I have a question...maybe concerning marketing for cat foods. I have personally never seen a cat go fishing but we see fish on the labels of cat food, fish flavoured food, fish flavoured water....Ive never seen sparrow or mice flavoured food or water and I have seen cats catch them....so why is that???

Also I found 2 websites, one is mostly about Ragdolls but has some information about the myths of certain foods.
    http://www.ragdoll-cats.com/Myths.htm

and this one, I havent read through the entire site but what I have seen keeps all the nutritional terms, the feeding do's and dont's and why's pretty basic. I was worried about putting this in as I wouldnt want anyone to be offended and Im not insinuating anyone is a Bonehead :wink:
    http://members.aol.com/_ht_a/lifegard/petfood/index.htm

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I read once that fish is not a natural food for cats and that's why many cats (including my Zeus) cannot tolerate fish in their diet.
    Cats originally came from desert (not dessert although that is my preference :wink: primarily cheesecake) regions where fish wasn't a food choice. But they like the smell of fish and will eat it...Zeus eats fish and the air quality of our house changes quite drastically after :roll:

6. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:lol: Aah yes...the air quality. you just reminded me a cat at one of the hospitals that was brought in for vomiting after the owner had it on a 'strcit diet' of tuna fish.....we got the whole 'furball erupting procedure' only it wasnt a furball being 'catapulted'....and in my direction too :shock: sorry....too much information there I think.
    I remember a vet telling me many many years ago that there was something in fish that cats need daily that isnt in anything else....I dont remember what it was and Ive never been able to find anything specifying that on the net. What Im wondering though is when cats have upper respiratory infections, my knowledge on them not eating is that cats wont eat if they cant smell the food so is it possible this is where the fish idea comes from in as much as the smell is usually stronger than most foods, therefore maybe enticing some cats to eat it?

I just ate a tuna sandwich about an hour ago.....not feeling so good right now!!!! :lol:

7. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

What I feed Raymond

Raymond eats 2 three oz cans of fancy feast and 1 full cup of purina indoor cat formula a day. As you can see from the picture his coat is soft, shiny and luxurious. Since I added the indoor formula of dry food he has not had one hairball incident, where before he was having them frequently.Ray seems to be thriving on this feeding regime. If I thought he was being harmed in anyway, cost would not be a factor I would buy whatever he needed. I buy the fancy feast because it has a huge variety and Ray seems to prefer that. Could it be that certain cats require certain foods because of their physical make-up and not because one is more expensive then the other?

[​IMG]

8. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

my cats eat Purina One and Fancy Feast and they are healthy (knocking on wood) and active.
    My new fosters, having come from a poor diet, are eating Science Diet W/D canned and dry - their coats are looking really coat now (dandruff is now nearly non-existant) and Dixie Chick is starting to look a little thinner around her face (she is also getting a 15-minute daily routine of wand toy time for exercise).
    I also think some of it depends on the cat - hell I thrive on a staple of whoopie pies and bagels LOL

9. vene

vene New Member

Some cats are exceptions. My grandpa's cat (dsh, grey tabby) used to dive in his pond and fish. I've seen him devour fish and it's gross. :shock: I don't remember what his lifespan was but I'm sure he ate more than just fish on the farm. There were plenty of lizards, snakes, and mice to suppliment his diet. I agree with everyone else. Cats are not meant to eat fish. Rene would get sick from the smallest amount of fish in her diet. :roll:

10. lil96

lil96 New Member

My cat Dale only eats food that is bad for her. I have tried switching to better brands, but she pukes everything up except the cheap crappy stuff. I try to weigh out being healthy now vs healthy in the long wrong and I think well she isn't getting any nutrients when she is puking all the time, compared to a few nutrients from the bad food. But everyone who meets her always says how pretty and soft her hair is. I wish she would eat good food. She also won't eat any canned food.

11. vene

vene New Member

Lil, there are exceptions. My vet always say feed whatever food your cat will tolerate. Some cats just can't eat premium foods. Well, at least Dale is healthier with the cheaper foods and you can save a few bucks to buy her toys. :mrgreen:

12. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

not meant to eat fish

Don't tell that to Raymond! Friday night is shrimp and pizza night at my house. I swear this cat knows it! When the delivery guy comes and rings the doorbell this cat is sitting right there waiitng, As soon as I have finished paying and shut the door he zooms into the kitchen and jumps up on the chair anxiously waiting for his treat of the week , one jumbo shrimp, minus the breading! If I've ever seen a cat in ecstasy, this is surely that for him!

13. TabbyLover

TabbyLover New Member

Mine love poultry best

Tobey and Ninja love their fish flavored fancy feast (their main diet is dried Iams, which they seem to like well enough) but the thing that really makes them INSANE is when I roast a chicken or turkey.

I have to put the bird in the microwave while letting it rest before carving, or I wouldn't have dinner left! Then during carving, I have two incessantly meowing cats walking between my legs the entire time, waiting for their sample. It's pretty funny :)

14. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

I remember our first Christmas as Zeus' people...had my entire family over for Christmas dinner. I found Zeus with his head stuck into the turkey's cavity - was so embarrassing

15. TabbyLover

TabbyLover New Member

ha ha ha ha ha!

I can SO see that! :lol:

16. halaroo

halaroo New Member

only Zeus.... :lol:

17. lil96

lil96 New Member

that is too funny with his head in the turkey!
    Dale likes weird stuff better like, she likes to chew the bread bag, but once she gets to the bread she'll stop eating or wire stuff (can be dangerous when plugged in) and the more I try to hide the the more she wants them and will do anything to get to them!

18. Bente

Bente New Member

Kyrre eats Hill's science plan, and seems to be satisfied with that. I used to buy the tuna flavoured kind, but after I read here that seafood might not be good for cats I switched to chicken. I haven't noticed any changes in Kyrre, so I guess he tolerates fish.
    One thing, I don't know if it's because of the food or if Kyrre just is a weird cat, but he NEVER begs for food! :shock: And when I give him treats (like tuna, cat milk or liver paste) he just nibbles at it, and doesn't even eat half.... The lady in the pet store said that cats who are eating quality food doesn't beg so much as cats eating the cheaper stuff. So maybe thats why... (Not that I'm complaining, lol!)

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

After we discovered that our two oldest cats had CRF (we lost the oldest one about a month ago), we started paying more attention to what we were feeding them. I was amazed at all the different preservatives and other nasty chemicals and poor quality protein sources found in cat and dog food.

For their dry food, we have since switched to Chicken Noodle Soup for the Pet Lover's Soul. It has absolutely no chemicals (only additives are vitamins, minerals, and amino acids), and it uses no by-products, just actual meat (& some veggies & grains). Our cats absolutely love it and seem to be able to digest it a lot better than any of the other dry foods they've gotten in the past.

For soft food (which is only eaten by our oldest cat and our kitten), we use a combination of home-made food (using real meat, veggies, & vitamins) and IAMS canned food. It has by-products, but no chemicals. Right now it's the best I can find locally.

-Chelle

20. DeLaUK

DeLaUK New Member

:m39: :lol: :lol: