1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Filter for 10g

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by tyler_medeiros, Dec 27, 2005.

1. tyler_medeiros

tyler_medeiros New Member

Right now we have an AC Mini but it makes horrible noises. The tank is in our room and we plan on changing the filter.
    Which filter would be the quietest? A sponge filter or a power filter? And what brand would be best?

2. Used

Used New Member

What is the tank stocked with? I have used Aquaclears for awhile now and they have been very quiet. Does the actual filter make noise or is it the water from the filter hitting the surface of the water? If the tank is stocked lightly then you could get away with runnig a sponge filter.

3. tyler_medeiros

right know it sounds like there is a grinding noise inside of the motor housing.
    I took it all apart and cleaned it but it still makes the same noise.
    Right know it is being cycled using 1 guppy, 1 platy, and 1 Bloodfin Tetra.
    They are being moved to another tank after it is cycled but we arnt sure of what to stack it with. We were thinking a pair of Blue Rams but that is just an Idea.
    Any suggestions. We want something a little bigger than guppies and neons.
    I think i may just buy a new AC mini and replace it. Keep this old one as a back up. It still works fin just a little noisy.

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You can try replacing the impeller. Does the tank have sand?

I have a couple of Cascade HOB filters (can you tell I like Cascades? :D). One is just a tiny bit noisy, but I think that's because it doesn't quite fit right on the tank (the glass lid is right up against the filter lid). The other is extremely quiet.

-Chelle

5. tyler_medeiros

yes the tank does have sand its its an old filter. At least 5 years old.

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Probably sucked up some sand and messed up the impeller.

-Chelle