1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New fish stocking ideas. Advice?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by zarate, Oct 2, 2005.

1. zarate

zarate New Member

Well, I went window shopping for fish today.
    I was thinking instead of guppies I'd like to get some mollies. I found some real pretty orangish colored ones (mind you I was at wal-mart to look, not buy and they didn't have anything saying what kind of mollies they were) and I like the looks of the dalmation mollies. I'd also like to get some ghost shrimp to add in there. I'm not sure how those measure to the gallons of water to fish ratio.
    So here's what I'd like to end up with once it's safe to add more fish
    1 cory cat
    1 red zebra danio
    1 chinese algae eater
    plus would like to add:
    4 mollies
    ghost shrimp, maybe 5 or 6...unless that's too many. I have no idea.
    Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks in advance.
    -Mandi

2. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

What size tank do you have? Or are you asking what size you should buy for these fish?!?

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

You mentioned in an earlier post that you have a 10 gallon (not sure if it's the one your talikg about in this post) but for a 10 gallon I wouldn't go with mollies. Personally I'd be looking into adding more danios (they are schooling fish and like the company of others) and a few cories too.

4. zarate

zarate New Member

Yes, I do have a 10 gallon, sorry I forgot to mention that.
    I really do like the cory cats...I'd love to get a pygmy so how many of those could I safely add, and how many more danios could I safely add...and would it be possible to still be able to add ghost shrimp? thanks for your help.
    -Mandi

5. ceveretts

ceveretts New Member

The rule of thumb (for small fish ONLY) is at LEAST a gallon of water per inch of fish. Any more than that and you are definately overcrowded. Larger fish require a lot more water than that though.