1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Fishies!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 12, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I have been saving up for and cleaning for my new 120 gallon aquarium. It will be freshwater and it's inhabitants will be
    1x Northern Pike
    2x Black Bullhead
    1x Largemouth Bass

As soon as I get it I will get pictures posted.

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A 120 gallon tank is not big enough to house those fish.

The pike gets over 4' long, the bass around 2', and the bullheads 10" - 12".

You'd be better off forgetting about the pike and bass and sticking with the 2 bullheads and one other fish that doesn't get over 12".

-Chelle

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

I know they all get that big. I am gonna get rid of the pike as soon as he cant turn around in the tank anymore (about a year or 2). And the bass are capable of living in there. I have researched that one.

4. Heather&Nicole

Heather&Nicole New Member

Thats really mean to wait till its THAT big...

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

Yeah, that's pretty cruel. Especially considering that once those couple of years come you might not be able to find a home for him :(

6. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

What I meant by getting rid of him was I meant when he gets that big I am going to take him to the Wolf Rive near me and release him into his real natural habitat so he can be free as he wants. I think that is nice don't you? I have done that before. I like to study these fishes that's why I keep them in the tanks. And then of course I release them back to their natural habitats.

7. tina1

tina1 New Member

Nothing wrong with keeping them and then releasing them back into their natural environments so long as you can properly care for them and they are in fact a native fish. I just meant that keeping a fish too big to turn around in your tank is pretty mean.

8. Obelix

Obelix New Member

Best of luck, I know first hand that fish keeping can be very hit or miss. :D

9. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

i also know that too. I have learned from my failures and gained experience from them. Thanks for the good luck, I am real excited.

10. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

How big are they?
    What are your water parameters?
    How long have you had them in there?
    What filtration do you have?
    How often do you do water changes?

-Chelle

11. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Thats what I was thinking because the 3 pet stores said Pike and Largemouth Bass can be kept in the minimum of 90 and 120 would be perfect for adulthood. Native fishes dont really need perfect water parameters because they are extremely hardy fish. anything less than 74 and more than 59 is good for any native.

12. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

u really shouldnt keep that many in there i have to agree. maybe until they are 5/6 inches but thats still alot.