1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Guppies- how long does it take 4 them 2 acclimatize?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by :o)rosie:o), Mar 28, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Just went down 2 the lfs, and I bought my guppies! The female is already pregnant (as were all the other females in the tank) & has a fairly dark gravid spot but isn't too large. She has an orange/red tail with black spots & the body is a silvery/grey colour. The male is a beautiful metallic silver with black,orange,yellow and red on his tail. They're still in the bag from the shop aclimatizing 2 the water temp etc. I've read before it's best to leave any fish in the bag for 30mins in the tank but then again I've also read that an hour is minimim time. How long should I leave them in there? They've already been in there for about 15mins.

Thanx

2. Used

Used New Member

The way I acclimate freshwater fish is leave the fish in the bag in the aquarium water for 15 minutes, then every 5 minutes add 1 cup of your aquarium water about 2 times. Also turn the aquarium tank light off while you do this. :D

3. kc5gvn

kc5gvn New Member

Hi :eek:)rosie:eek:), What Used said is correct. Let the bag float closed for about 15 minutes to acclimate to temperature. After 15 minutes open the bag and roll the top back so that it will float upright and add 1 cup of water every 5 to 10 minutes to acclimate to the PH and chemical content in the tank. If you are doing frequent water changes and your PH is running on the Alkaline side and your LFS generally runs slightly Acid then it is better to add the water closer to 10 minute intervals. If from the store there is about three inches of water in the bag, you want to continue to add water at 5 to 10 minute intervals until there is at least 6 inches of water (9 would be better) in the bag before you let them out.

4. :o)rosie:o)

Thanx a lot :D. I did as Used said & it all went well. They're still setling in & have found a spot at the back of the tank behind some foxtail. I thought they would have been moving about a bit more than they are, but I guess they're still a bit shy & need to get used to me & my family. What do u think? Thanx again

5. Used

Used New Member

The fish are shy and not familar to their enviroment right now, but give them time and they will start being more active.

6. :o)rosie:o)

I've just given the guppies a feed, & they're starting to come out a little bit more, but they're still wary. Now that its dark & the kitchen lights are on I've noticed how truly beautiful their colours are. The male actually also has a turquoise/bluey/green colour & some purple on its body & the females tail is great 2 see.

7. Petz8888

Petz8888 New Member

Your expecting fry soon great!