1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

NEW HERE AND AS A PUPPY MOM

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by hoshimom, Aug 7, 2004.

1. hoshimom

hoshimom New Member

HI IM JULE AND I HAVE A BEAUTIFUL INCREDIBLY SWEET AND SMART YORKSHIRE, SHE IS 5 MONTHS OLD AND I HAVE HAD HER FOR 2, SHE HAS ME WRAPPED AROUND HER FINGER BUT BECAUSE SHE IS SUCH A GOOD GIRL, HER NAME IS HOSHI , SHE IS NOT TINY BUT THE DR SAID ITS BETTER HEALTHWISE , FOR ME I HAVE FALLEN IN LOVE SO MUCH WITH HER SHE COULD BE A GREAT DANE HAHA, IM NEW TO PUPPIES WORLD BUT I THINK IM DOING GOOD, SHE HAS THE POTTY TRAIN THING ACED BUT WHEN SHE FEELS IM LEAVING OR SHE IS TIED UP IN THE KITCHEN IN HER LEASH BECAUSE IM A CHEF AND I CANT LET HER RUN LOSE FOR IT COULD BE DANGEROUS FOR HER, SHE GETS MAD AND PEES OR POOPS AND I READ SCOLDING IS NOTH THE THING NOW SO I JUST CLEAN IT AND WHEN SHE DOES GO I REWARD HER, ANY TIPS, EXPERIENCES TO SHARE WITH ME?

2. nern

nern New Member

Welcome to the forum! Congrats on your puppy. :D

Dogs don't know spite so its not likely that she is doing it because she's mad. Its more likely due to the stress of being seperated from you...its sounds like she may have a bit of seperation anxiety. If that is the case, you can practice leaving her more often but for shorter periods of time (short enough so that she does'nt react). Leave the room for a few seconds, come back and repeat very gradually over time increasing the amount of time you are gone. I agree that scolding and/or punishment is definately not the thing to do.

3. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Nern, I know someone that had a rescue st. poodle that was getting annoyed that there was no room on the couch for him. It was overloaded with rescuer and other dogs. This dog went up in her bedroom and pee'd right in the middle of her bed.

4. GinaH

GinaH New Member

hoshimom
    Welcome to the board! Your little furbaby sounds like a doll!
    I have to say in regard to Nern's reply I think you are right about dogs not having spite or becoming angry with humans...But jealousy is definitely a trait amongst dogs and cats. I have experienced various forms of obvious jealousy throughout the years with my animals. I have a cat Molly who refuses to share a litter box with any other cat! She will go in the floor before she will step foot into a litter box another cat has used. She had always been the only cat in the house for years then when she was about 8 we added another cat Freddie. She had no problems sharing the house or humans with Freddie but she evidentially had a huge problem with sharing her litter box with him. She has always been a great cat and always very healthy. So when Freddie came along and she began going potty in my sons closet and in the corners of the house and even resorted to going in the middle of my bed on my new goose down! I thought for sure she was sick so I took her to the vet and everything checked out medically so I thought well maybe because I had switched from the scoopable clay litter to the feline pine that perhaps was the problem but still she continued to go in the house so I changed her food got her a new litter box and still she continued to do it! I was at my wits end! I ended up finding out her problem when Freddie was taken into the vet to be neutered he ended up having complications and had to stay at the vets office for nearly a week. So anyhow I took the kitty litter box outside and washed and bleached it then brought it back in and filled it with fresh litter and magically Molly was back to her old self she was using the litter box again and everything was great until....Freddie came home from the vets office....The minute he stepped foot into that litter box Molly refused to use it again. So finally I figured out the problem and got Molly her very own litter box. It was very hard correcting Freddie when he tried to use Molly's litter box but eventually he figured it out. But now since we lost Freddie and have added the new additions Marigold & MeanieButt we have had litter box issues again! Ughhhhhhh! We have also have major jealousy issues anytime a new foster comes into the house one of the dogs always end up doing something crazy out of jealousy just to gain attention. Hmmmmm....And these are the days of our lives.

5. nern

nern New Member

I would consider that as territorial behavior rather than spiteful. The way dogs perceive certain situations is compeletely different than the way humans do and because many people are unaware of this canine behavior is often misinterpreted by humans.
    My mother thinks that her dog Toby is being "spiteful" because she is not paying attention to him when he takes socks out of the laundry basket and then shows her what he has and runs away from her. In Toby's perspective, its more likely that showing mom that I have socks = a fun game of catch me if you can.
    :mrgreen:

6. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

It very well could have been territorial, but even only being in the house a few days?

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I don't think they do it to "get back at you" but peeing in an inappropriate place does seem to be one way animals have of letting you know there is something wrong - emotionally or physically.

8. nern

nern New Member

Yes, its possible. Could have just been stress related too.

The above would be a valid reason for such behavior.