1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

new here, how old is tiel?

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by Champion, Jun 27, 2004.

1. Champion

Champion New Member

=P~ Hi, I'm new here. My daughter recently purchased a cockatiel from a pet store. Have had little luck getting info on working with it with out signing up for a book or paying for info on web. We're not sure if it is as young as he said. When purchased few feathers on the back of it's head, and new ones coming through on head and back. Is this a 12 week old bird or a molting tiel year old tiel? Please let me know what any place to learn more on proper handling. Thanks...

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi without seeing a picture of your bird its impossible to tell you roughly how old.
    At 12 weeks old they have all there feathers, When they are molting there should be no bald spots at all as when birds molt there new feathers are what pushes the old ones out.

As for handling it takes time and patience placing your hands in the cage a few times aday slowly moving towards the birds chest until you can rub your finger across its chest once this is achieved you will then be able to tempt it to sit on your finger you do this while holding some of its favourite fruit or vegtable or whatever it likes the most.

Never rush a bird to become hand tame as it never works out.

Good luck
    mike