1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New here... Introduction

Discussion in 'Horses - all breeds / types' started by Sara, May 26, 2004.

1. Sara

Sara New Member

Hi I'm Sara and I'm new here... I actually came because I have a question but it looks like a great Forum and I'll probably make it a normal part of my board posting routine...LOL

I'm 26 years old been around horses for most of my life (well horses and ponies). I started with a Welsh gelding and moved up to a Grade mare that I bought with babysitting money and saved from the "horse buyers". My mom's boss took pitty on me... Not really his son was too big for the Arab. Gelding he bought him so he gave him to me... He's the horse I have now...born the same month and year as me (yes he's 26yrs old). His registered name is Kkennetic and he's an *Aladdinn son. I also have 4 dogs (Two Pit Bulls and Two Boerboels--South African Mastiffs). I've been schooled in Hunter/Jumper for a bit (hope to get back into it shortly) and done lots of work with cattle etc... Blah blah blah...LOL

So I have two questions... I've always had all of my horses out on pasture. I've never had to really do much in the form of feeding hay. Well my gelding foundered last spring and this spring is even worse...in terms of green grass... so I'm thinking I'm going to need to lock him up and feed just hay...I'm pretty embarassed...but I don't know how much hay I should feed him a day in this case.. He's not overweight so I don't need to put him on a diet...just to keep him well. He's about 15 hands.

My second question is for a friend of mine...she's been out of the loop for a bit on paints and I've never been in it...LOL... We're wondering if it's possible to get a grade horse registered as a paint on color alone. Is that possible and if so what does she need to do to do it?

2. horse_child

horse_child New Member

hi,
    I cant help you ont he registered paint thing. i may be able to help you on eh hay thing though. it all really depends on the type of hay you're feeding. i suggest grass hay. it is alot cleaner smelling (alfalfa is acidic) I suggest oyu feed about 2-3 flakes in the morning and 2 at night. then ajust to how he seems to be eating it. good luck!!!
    :D

3. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

My mare Sassy foundered on green grass as well. She had a mild case with no rotation in the coffin bones. First, have him checked by a vet. If he has rotation, you need to start on corrective shoing and possibly some banomine paste. For teh pain.
    As for feeding straight hay, I would go ahead and give him about a half a bale of coastal a day (this years hay, no older than last seasons!!!) Also start feeding him some regular steam crimped oats, not whole!! NO sweetfeed. Start off with about a cup 3 times a day and gradually bring it up to a pound 1 X a day. He needs to have some green grass. Maybe turn him out for a bout a hour a day. Remember keep him in a DRY very soft ground pen. You can help him by hydroing his feet or soaking them forabout 15 minutes a day in warm epsomsalt water.

Good luck, and definately consult your vet.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

My mare Sassy foundered on green grass as well. She had a mild case with no rotation in the coffin bones. First, have him checked by a vet. If he has rotation, you need to start on corrective shoing and possibly some banomine paste. For teh pain.
    As for feeding straight hay, I would go ahead and give him about a half a bale of coastal a day (this years hay, no older than last seasons!!!) Also start feeding him some regular steam crimped oats, not whole!! NO sweetfeed. Start off with about a cup 3 times a day and gradually bring it up to a pound 1 X a day. He needs to have some green grass. Maybe turn him out for a bout a hour a day. Remember keep him in a DRY very soft ground pen. You can help him by hydroing his feet or soaking them forabout 15 minutes a day in warm epsomsalt water.

Good luck, and definately consult your vet.

As for the paint horse issue.No you cannot register a horse based on color alone. The horse needs to be a purebreed either APHA or AQHA.