1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Idea Dont Start Yelling

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Fishkin, Aug 16, 2004.

1. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Now don't everyone start yelling at me about fish abuse but I had a great idea. I am thinking of getting 4 convicts for my 55, 2 males 2 females and have them breed and what I am going to do with all those hundreds of fry I will use them as feeders for all my other meat eating fish. I will keep some fry and breeding will go on and on equaling endless feeder fish!! But just to be sure, is it healthy feeding convicts to carnivorous fish?? I would assume it is just like any other healthy fish.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

well, if u really want to i suppose it might be ok as long as the fish arnt large enough to fight back and injure your P's

3. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

And don't get me wrong I have wanted to get some cichlids because I think they are very pretty fish and I want some active fish in the room. It's just when I heard how easy/often/many fish these produce I got some ideas lol.

4. OneWolvesDream

OneWolvesDream New Member

omg. you know you could make more money off selling the fry and getting propper feeders then just feeding them to the fish.

5. tina1

tina1 New Member

I'd have to disagree. Most lfs' get overrun by all their customer's convict fry and, at least around here, don't take them at all or will only take them if you "donate" them to the lfs.

Yours isn't a bad idea, people do it with guppies all the time. But still remember that it is important to have a variety of foods fed to the fish in addition to the convict fry to be sure that all their nutrition requirements are met.

6. Nameless

Nameless New Member

I completely have to agree with tina. I have had personal experiences with that! Lol!

7. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea...if anything, this is much more healthy for the piranha this way b/c store-bought gldfish used as feeders are usually negelcted and have numerous diseases.

8. OneWolvesDream

OoOoO ok that makes sence, my petstore down here seems to love getting convict fry all the time. all 3 of em.

9. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

Well I am sure I will make some money off some, and feed some to my fish. I am sure there will be enough lol. :wink:

10. OneWolvesDream

11. needlefish1

needlefish1 New Member

thats a great idea

12. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

dont count on making that much money off them

13. Nameless

Nameless New Member

Most lfs won't take them and also if you even happen to be lucky they would expect you to give it to them for free! However, good luck with your idea!

14. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Lots of people feed con fry to there fish just because all they do is breed like mad. I have been thinking about getting cons when i get my new tanks and just giving the fry to friends with preditory fish.. But everyone has cons now :D Im thinkin dempsey breeding pair :eek:

15. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

dempseys wouldnt breed like convicts if you are out for just all the fry.

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You're going to need a 75 - 100 gallon tank for a breeding pair of depseys.

-Chelle

17. M_wm

M_wm New Member

Almost everyone ive every talked to on forums has said about 60g except u im not trying to be rude but do you always just say over the acaul size so people will get a more roomy tank?

18. OneWolvesDream

not to but in though it is said to get a larger tank then needed for the fish so they have extra growing room and more comfort for them.

19. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

yea, its always best to get over the minimum tank size.

20. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

JD's get 8" - 10" long. I had an 8" and a 10" oscar in a 75 gallon tank and I couldn't imagine them being happy and not cramped in something smaller than that. Not to mention they got territorial and aggressive and I had to give one up (& JD's are more aggressive than oscars). Plus as far as bioload was concerned, I could NOT miss a weekly water change or my nitrAtes would be way too high.

You'll have much better luck and fewer problems if you go with a bigger tank.

-Chelle