1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Kitten wont eat

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by alive_outof_habit03, Jun 12, 2004.

1. alive_outof_habit03

alive_outof_habit03 New Member

Hi, I have just recently recieved a 4 week old kitten. When she left her home she was eating dry food, and still feeding from her mother. Though now she is here she wont even touch anything. We have tried dry food, wet food, water, and milk from a dropper. She took alittle bit from the dropper last night, but wont eat anymore. I am really scared that she might not have been ready to leave her mother yet. If anyone has any suggestions please help.

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

no she isn't ready to leave her mother yet...she needs to be with her. 4 weeks old is much much much too young. And in most states it's illegal for a kitten or puppy to be given away or sold before 8 weeks of age.

You can probably expect some behavioral issues too as she gets old cause she hasn't had time to learn things from her mother that she needs to learn.

3. Cassie

Cassie Active Member

I agree 150% with what Mary said. 4 weeks is way way too young to be taken from her momma. Can you possibly return her to her momma for a few more weeks?

4. nern

nern New Member

I completely agree with the above posts. If possible I would return her to her mother for another 4wks. At this age she still needs her mothers milk (even if she is eating some kitten food) and will miss out on important social skills learned from her mother and littermates if seperated from them this early.

5. pandy

pandy New Member

I dont know alot about this, but we have a litter of 4 week old kittens and I could not imagine separating them from momma at this point. No way.

6. deb2950

deb2950 New Member

too young to leave mama !

n excellent article about this subject, there is a mutitude of information about this subject on the web, just do a search for kitten development.

"Kittens should leave their homes at a minimum age of twelve weeks," says Dr. Betsy Arnold, DVM, a veteran Siamese breeder and veterinarian with an all-feline practice in Rochester, New York called Caring for Cats. "In my practice I have seen kittens coming in at six and seven weeks who weight twelve, maybe fourteen ounces. These are infants. They needed to stay with their mothers."

http://www.breedlist.com/faq/young.html

7. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Siamese cats should stay with their mothers until 12 weeks of age (most oriental breeds) as they mature slower. The 5 I'm getting this morning are approx. 7 weeks old their mother was put down when they were 6 weeks old and I'm anticipating some issues. Any breeder worth a darn willnot let a meezer go before 12 weeks of age.

Most kittens do okay at 8 weeks but if someone can wait longer even better.

The poor kitten in this post I feel so badly for. Even the shelter I fostered for last year wouldn't dream of letting the kittens leave their moms earlier than 8 weeks. I turned a woman in this past fall for giving away kittens early....the police visited her and told her she had to wait.

When I worked for a shopper paper if anyone brought in an ad for kittens or puppies I always asked them, before taking their ad, how old they were (the puppies and/or kittens) and if they weren't 8 weeks old i refused their ad.

8. xxrachfromtheukxx

xxrachfromtheukxx New Member

awww guys lets not make the owner feel guilty. its not his/her fault right? however i do agree that maybe u shud take her back for a few weeks. i kno you might not want to, but itll be worthwhile :D gud luck