1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

new parakeet...

Discussion in 'Birds - all breeds / types' started by FMgurl43, Apr 28, 2004.

1. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

ok i just got a new parakeet a few days ago someone didnt want it anymore so i took it in like the rest of my birds...lol... anyways the new one timone is a male hes in w/ my female nala i couldnt keep them arpart 4 anything she would open her cage and go into his so i gave in and let them stay together.... my ? is she does this thing w/ her head like she is roling it around in a circle and starts chirping like crazy ive never seen her do this b4 unless shes in her outside cage and another parakeet flys up (where i live they r everywhere outside) also the male will get close to her and she moves away but then when hes not watching her she will go up and sit next to him and kiss him (i guess thats how to describe it) her cere is dark brown and i read the earlier post that thats when she wants to breed right???? but he hasnt takin to much interest in her.... im not to fimiliar w/ parakeets ive always had lovebirds and tieals sooo... any advice would be nice... thanks...

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi by the sounds of things she is in breeding condition mating will not happen unless the female is ready to accept the male.

Since they have only been together a few days he may be abit nervous and shy when it comes to her pushiness.
    Unless your wanting to breed the birds it would be best to seperate them even if this does drive her nuts or the other alternative is if she lays eggs remove them boil allow to cool put a number on the egg so you know which ones you have done and then place them back in with her.

Never remove eggs during the 19days incubating period as this will promote her to lay more eggs to replace the ones taken and this can seriously reduce the amount of calcium your female has and this can result in death.

Having cuttlefish bone and mineral blocks in the cage can help reduce the risk of calcium deficencies.

But all the things she is doing is signs she is almost ready for mating.

Mike

3. FMgurl43

FMgurl43 New Member

im thinking about letting them breed im new to parakeets sooo a lil nervy.... im used to lovebirds..... thanks 4 the info...... :eek: :eek: :eek: