1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New pet

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Angie, Oct 28, 2004.

1. Angie

Angie New Member

Did ya'll watch the lunar eclipse last night?
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/6349377/
    Thought this was interesting...
    Why is the sky blue? http://www.msnbc.com/news/198671.asp?cp1=1

Also, we have a new pet. My dad bought a pot belly pig yesterday! Its cute little black piggy. I haven't touched it yet... :|
    My dad and sister call him Wilbur.
    My dad's girlfriend and I wanted to call him babe, like the movie.
    I like Babe but hearing them say Wilbur, I keep sayin Wilbur so I guess they will win lol.
    I think he is 4 or 5 weeks old they said. Man that thing squeels loud!
    Everytime it squeels, the two dogs go crazy barking and barking!
    :roll:

Wilbur!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :)

2. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Yes it was very intresting and kina creepy looking. I hope its over now, because one more day of weird animal behavior and I'm going to have to leave!!!

I raised show pigs, and I've played with friends Pot bellied pigs, they are cute and VERY smart. You just think your dogs are smart. Wait unitl this guy starts to learn things.
    Oh and you'll want to have him casturated into a burrow. Boar pigs are NASTY!!

3. Angie

Angie New Member

Ummm... I don't know anything at all about pigs. I am reading information on them right now.
    Can you explain this to me?
    Thanks...

4. Samsintentions

Well Boar pigs are Intact males. They are very much like dogs in the fact that they will "hump". The problem with thisis that their penis is like a corkscrew. Its a long narrow tube that spirals. (I"m serious, its funny looking) Anyhow. They tend to make just about "anything" their "mate". They often urinate on object to mark territory, carry an odor from faramones, and tend to become very agressive and destructive.

(take it from me I have alot of experiance!!!)

Boars are also highly succeptable to injuries to their testicles. Their testicles are right below their anus. And hang outside the body and only covered by a thin layer of skin.
    These aren't pott bellied pigs, but Hampshire Show pigs. Same diffrence though. Pottbellied carry just the same.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Angie

Angie New Member

Ok... thanks for the info! I will let my dad read that lol
    so he can get that taken care of!
    Thanks a bunch!
    Any other tips would be great!

6. Samsintentions

Do not over feed them. A cup of feed is plenty!!! Many people over feed them on accident and the get severly obese. THat can cause many health problems.

7. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Sams, I was eating a sandwich when I began reading your post about male pigs and their horny nature and I think now I may puke!...lol :0024:

Angie, my oldest son has wanted a pot bellied pig for the longest time just becuase a friend has one but I said NO way! When I think of pigs I just think Ewwwww Gross!

8. Angie

Angie New Member

So at this age, how much do you think would be a good amount to feed?
    4-5weeks

This woman we saw at the store said her pig wouldnt eat so she gave it oatmeal and it loved the oatmeal.

9. 4Dogsihave

4Dogsihave New Member

Well congradulations I think lol. I have seen a few in the area, one was really little and its owner always dressed it up. Too cute.

10. Samsintentions

At that age. A cup of pellets (you can get pig food from any feed store). I use ACCO Show Pig for my gilts and burows. But a lesser protien feed is what your looking for. Mayber 12-15% at max. At that age your going to want to start them on softer foods. He's very young and really should have been left with momma until 6-8 wks. Pigletts nurse for up to 10 weeks.

ANyhow.... You can start him on some crushed corn and barley. Only about 1/8 cup of barley and 1/4 cup crushed corn mixed with some milk replacer. (about a tablespoon) You can cook it or giveit to him raw. either way.

You don't want to start feeding them table food. Pigs have very slow matabolisms and become obese rather quickly. At full grown he should only be eating 1-1/2 cups of PIG feed.

You've got to post photos of this little guy!!!

11. Angie

Angie New Member

Ok, thanks again!

I can post some pics as soon as I can but Im not exactly sure how ...
    I can try to use photobucket, and make them smaller.
    Ill post when I get pics developed!
    thanks

12. Samsintentions

When you scan your photos in (or download them from a digital) Save them to your C drive. Then go to www.Tinypic.com and its sooo easy!!! just click on "Browse" and go it'll take you to your c drive (if not you can change it) Click on the photo and hit save. I'll automatically do it for yoU! All yu have to do then is hit HOST and it'll host it. Copy the URL fromt he link it give syou and BOOM Its done!!!

13. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Pot bellied pigs were a pet fad a number of years back. Most of them ended up abandoned because they aren't as cute when they grow up and they aren't as easy to handle as everyone thought. There are sanctuaries where people help them live out their lives after their owners dump them.

On the subject of names....you do know that Wilbur is the name of the pig in Charlotte's Web, right? That was pre-Babe. :)

Here are some informational links for you:
    http://exoticpets.about.com/cs/potbelliedpigs/a/pbpexpect.htm
    http://potbellypigofmyheart.com/
    http://www.petpigs.com/

14. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Pot belly pigs were all the rage about ten years ago, but now I often see ads where people are giving them away. Even then they often can't find them homes. Its true that they can become very hard to manage when they are mature. And they will eat ANYTHING! Its so easy to overfeed them, as they will just keep eating and eating. They would probably eat themselves to death. Then they become a 150 lb. adult. Also, since they are so intelligent, you really have to keep on top of them, and keep them in line. Expect them to behave just as you would a dog, and don't coddle them. They will take advantage in a second. Some of them become mean as adults, even if castrated. I had to give one up because he was just plain nasty and would try to attack you. He was castrated when very young. Hopefully yours won't do this, but do be prepared in case it happens.

15. spencerpits

spencerpits New Member

I can't verify the truth in this, but I've heard that they can become very destructive. Perhaps out of boredom since they are so intelligent. Anywho - best of luck with him!

16. seaecho

seaecho New Member

Yep, I can clarify it myself! They are EXTREMELY destructive! They will actually eat plaster off walls, if allowed in the house. They root constantly, which can totally destroy a garden in no time at all. They often bully other animals, like dogs, and they try to dominate everything, including humans! They will push a fence over with no problem if its not buried very deep for stability. They will do anything it takes to get to something to eat. And they will scream so loud it'll pierce your eardrums if you try to disipline them. Also, its impossible to tie them up, as they have no necks and can slip right out of a collar.

17. Samsintentions

They can be very distructive. And yes they are much smarter than dogs.
    They have to be trained just as you would train a dog. Babe, my pig, will sit, lay, stay, heel, and retrieve. She will also give a handshake, stand and dance, and can play the "bucket" trick. She will carry her bucket around to the tack room and put it down to be filled, then carry it back to where ever she wants to eat it.

She also learned how to suck out of a straw, and open doors and gates. (this later became a problem at a show, she let all the others out!!!)