1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New Puppy? 14 Weeks too old???

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by ntengwall, Oct 23, 2004.

1. ntengwall

ntengwall New Member

Ok...as most of you know I am awaiting my future shih tzu puppy to be born in about 2 weeks. Well, my 5 1/2 year old son was on the computer and said, "Mommy, come see the puppies I found." I came over and he had pulled up the page where my breeder has her pups listed on Puppy Find.com. I have no idea how he got to it since I don't have it bookmarked. Then he said, "I REALLY like the first one!" Well, she had her current newborn pups listed but at the top she has a 14 week old girl that she bought to breed but now is realizing she may be too small for that. Well, you all know what I am about to ask (and I don't want to hear from Blessed--I know what she would tell me! LOL Just kidding Blessed
    Here is a pic of her--she is a "liver" and has a brown nose and eyelids instead of black (this is accepted in shih tzus). What do you all think??
    http://www.puppyfind.com/?act=search&vi ... =1&view_pi c=1&subject=Shih+Tzu&puppy_id=211657191441759960e61d7&img_id=1419708 1044175999ca0835&page_num=0&page=10

Here is my concern about this little girl and maybe some of you can tell me what you think. She will be 14-15 weeks by the time I get her (IF I get her) . Do you see that as a problem? How does that affect things like her bonding with us or her potty training? Will she be less likely to bond with me and my kids and will she be harder to potty train? I know that Julie lets her grown dogs outside to pee (which is what I will do), but not sure if she has her with the grown dogs or the pups.

2. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

She will only be a few weeks older than when they usually go to homes. Ask the breeder if she has started any potty training, if it bothers you. I would jump on it if I were you.

3. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

I believe Rocky was about 10-12 weeks when he came home. It didn't effect him bonding with my family or potty training.

I potty training is your major concern then definately ask if they've started training her.

4. ntengwall

ntengwall New Member

I am actually not that worried about potty training since we will be home with her all day/every day. I was more concerned about the emotional aspect and bonding.

5. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

Nicole.. she's a cutie!! That little "spot" around her mouth is soooo cute!! she reminds me of gizmo (from that movie??!)... I love that coloring!

As far as her age, I doubt that there are any issues to be worried about. There are plenty of dogs that go to their new homes (even older!) and don't have problems. Personlly, I'd want younger... just cuz you will miss out on a month (ish) of puppy-dom, which is sweet... but that might just be a blessing in disguise! LOL...

6. princessmaddy

princessmaddy New Member

Hi Nicole, This is long story...
    I went to have a look at your puppy but it wasnt displaying. I am not an expert but have three toy poodles. I recently got a new baby. Similar story to yours. I was to get a red teacup poodle. She unfortunately died so I asked if I could have their older girl, the breeder had kept for her own. It was 15 weeks and she did not want to part with it. The father was a champion and absolutely gorgeous.The mum was also gorgeous. I worked on her for a long time and finally wore her down. She said because I wanted her for my baby and would also make her the face of Downtown Doggy, my business, she would brake a rule and let her go. They wanted me to have the best dog they had becuase the world would see her. You see the breeder said, after having her for that long they never give them up because they grow too fond of them. They said this doggy had the best confirmation(I think that is wording) out of any they had bred for 18 years, they were going to breed her and show her.
    Well we got her and let me tell you the minute I picked her up from the plane she loved me and my husband. We are so lucky to have her. She bonded in 5 minutes. Admittedly we broke every rule the breeder told us...Including letting her sleep with us. I guess that helped her get close to us. We were told to let her sleep in her crate because she was used to it. Well her yelping lasted 1 hour and we gave in. It broke our hearts to hear her. She now goes everywhere with me. Remember this the breeders cant possibly give them the same degree of attention you will because they are so busy looking after all the doggys, she will love your family.

The toilet training is another thing. She wees on a washable mat in the laundry if she doesnt make it outside. We still have problems with this but so does every one else I speak to. Go for it, IF YOUR SON WANTS HER I THINK THAT AGE WILL BE FINE. I will send you an email with her picture because she is on my home page of my website and I dont think I am allowed to display a link to my website am I? How do I add an image like others have?
    Margo

7. puttin510

puttin510 New Member

Princess you can post a link to your site. Do you see the little www down under you post. All people need to do is click on it to see your site. Go to your profile and enter in your link to your website. I have got to see this beauty of yours. Poodles are my love too. I love all dogs, but there something special about the way the poodle moves and just simply looks, I absolutley love the lines of their faces.

Nicole, see she had no problem, Denise got gracie at 13 weeks no problem. Whats going on? Did you speak to Julie?

8. MyBabyShihPoo

MyBabyShihPoo New Member

14 weeks old is just fine, she will still bond with you and your family, no doubt about that! :y_the_best: A dog, at any age, is capable of bonding with a new family...it happens with adult shelter dogs ALL THE TIME when they go home with their lucky new family! (There are a few select breeds that are known to have problems bonding with a new family after living with one for some time, but such is not the case here, so I wouldn't worry about it)!!! :wink:

:D

9. MonsterBailey

MonsterBailey New Member

I know that Ntengwall has been very busy and hasn't had a chance to post here, but SHE GOT HER BABY THIS WEEK!!! :) and boy... talk about adorable!!!! :) I'll leave the details for Mommy to share tho.