1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New puppy biting while playing! :?

Discussion in 'Dogs - small breeds (toy) specific' started by :o)rosie:o), Jan 8, 2005.

1. :o)rosie:o)

:o)rosie:o) New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to this forum.
    I have a 5month old female maltese puppy named Rosie. I was wondering as a first time dog owner when puppy biting (not chewing) is completly stopped. For example when Rosie's playing & she gets a little over excited she somtimes will have a nip (not hard at all just a nip). Is this somthing she'll grow out of or will she have 2 learn not 2 do this? When she does do it I stop the game imediately.
    Thanx
    Lizzy

2. nern

nern New Member

3. :o)rosie:o)

Thanx so much that link was really interesting. We had a problem this morning, Rosie had an icecream stick in her mouth (don't ask me how she got it) I picked her up & tried to take it from her but she bit me! Im not sure what to do in those situations. I've tried yelping but that sometimes makes her more excited. Btw I did eventually get it off her. I was quite shocked b/c shes never done that before :( . Got any suggestions in dealing with those situations?
    Thanx

4. kindness_001

kindness_001 New Member

When they are nipping at your fingers you can give them a toy to play with. I have to do that for some of my puppies. my Chihuahua tried to scare me the other day. he had a walmart canian carryout and i moved my hand by him and he growled at me. I reminded him who feeds him . little snot.

5. :o)rosie:o)

Lol :D . Yea sometimes when she has somthing shes not supposed to have we bribe her with a treat or toy. She ussually wont go for a toy though. What would your order of events be after shes bitten me?
    Thanx heaps :y_the_best:

6. Aqueous

Aqueous New Member

Sometimes you have to be careful doing that. Puppies can take it as praise. When Rocky was younger we did that with him and then he started grabbing everything and waiting for his treat. We eventually taught him "Give" (where we hold whatever he has in his mouth and say "give"' and he'll drop it into our hands.)

7. :o)rosie:o)

Sorry I meant it like we show her the treat then when she goes to grab the treat the object falls from her mouth. We dont actually give her the treat. lol