1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

New puppy, want another.

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Brittany4me, Jul 23, 2004.

1. Brittany4me

Brittany4me New Member

Hi,

I just registered today and I am looking forward to reading the messages here!

We just added a Brittany Spaniel to our family, he's 10wks. old. We love him to death and we are having a blast with him. We have two cats as well.

I'm a stay-at-home mom so I can devote a lot of love and attention to my pets and my son. I've always wanted a Bichon Frise and was curious if anyone knows what the proper time frame would be before adding a Bichon puppy to our mix. I read somewhere that you don't want two puppies to bond to each other more than the family. Would waiting until our Brittany Spaniel is 6 months be a good age to add a new puppy or could we get one sooner (or later)?

Thanks for any insight!

Gena

2. nern

nern New Member

If it were me, I would probably wait until the Brittany is fully house broken and pretty much fully trained. From what I understand, it can be very difficult to train two pups at the same time. I think there are a few members here that have gotten 2 pups at the same time....maybe one of them can provide some more insight.

3. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I would try to wait a full year before getting another pup. Of course, you can make it work earlier, but by a year the first dog is housebroken, has a good start on training, isn't quite as hyper, and is bonded well to the humans.

4. DogLover

DogLover New Member

Hi,
    Nice meeting you. I joined this forum not long ago as well. :)

I have a 14-week old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel. I have had the same feeling as you do, love for the dogs just can't stop. I was hoping to add one more dog - German Shepherd - to the family. So, I consulted with the vet and a few people who own multiple dogs. They also told me to wait till my first dog is fully housetrained and grown. Some others told me that puppies tend to follow one another, especially if they are really close. Meaning, if one puppy chewed on your shoes, the other will happily joins. On the other hand, when your first dog is a model citizen a year from now, your new dog will look upon and learn the good things from him.

Hope this helps.

5. Rene

Rene New Member

I have 2 yorkies and i got sebastain when he was 6 weeks old (in sept. 02) then in Jan 03 i got Jasmine she was also 6 weeks then and boy i wish i would have asked that question first it is very hard with 2 puppies it is still hard sometimes with the 2 of them they are very stuborn little buggers. I agree with every one else wait at least a year i think it would have been much easier for me if i would have waited

6. Brittany4me

Brittany4me New Member

Thanks everyone. I'm going to go ahead and wait it out. As I said earlier, we're having fun with our Brittany, but it certainly is still a lot of work. I was going to wait until November for a new pup (the Brittany would be 6 months old), but after reading here I think I'll wait until he's a year old.

Thanks again!
    Gena