1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Not dangerous dogs, dangerous dog owners!

Discussion in 'Dogs - Pit bull breeds specific' started by True_Pits, May 10, 2005.

1. True_Pits

True_Pits New Member

Anyone ever watch the animal cops shows on AP? On one of the most recent episodes a family had 2 pits in their home, Sugar and Gemini, I guess one was the mother/sons and one was the cousins, Sugar was a submissive dog while Gemini was dominant. These people already had visits because of Gemini fighting with Sugar. Anyway the animal officers were contacted because their had been a dog bite, then it turns out the lady had already visited this place and knew them right off. It was Sugar and Gemini's owner, apparently she said she couldn't get to Sugar because Gemini had her "locked" in the room. Gemini had attacked Sugar AGAIN and her son came to help seperate them and Gemini turned and bit him. She said it was just 3 punture wounds, in reality his arm was badly bitten, flesh, tissue and nerves destroyed. The animal officer was pretty upset, she had told them they were supposed to keep the dogs seperated at all times BEFORE, but they were too stupid to listen. The owner (the women) was like she (Gemini) probably would have killer her (Sugar) if she hadn't had the e-collar on (which she had on b/c of the last time Gemini attacked her). They went to the son (victim) and asked what he thought should be done. He is sitting there with flesh hanging off his arm (must have had pain killers by this time) and says well I don't want to see her put down or anything, she is a really good dog. We just can't have her around. The mom says basically the samething well I don't think she should be killed for it, just we have to move her and can't keep her here, but really she is a good dog. The animal officer tells her they will have to tell the judge all this at the hearing it will be decided. Of course the cousin doesn't want her put to sleep either. They say she is a "good dog" she only bit him because of the fight and well she's a good dog but sometimes something in her head just clicks!!!! WTF A good dog doesn't just CLICK sometimes, unstable dog more like it. They already failed to control her and keep the other dog safe, the judge told them that they already proved that they couldn't keep her away from the other dog then how can they prove they will keep her away from kids, people, community dogs, ect if they failed to do so in their own home. They tried to argue with the judge and say she is a good dog and she is only dog aggression, but she is not a fighting dog (obviously or she wouldn't have did what she did, most likely anyway) she is a house pet, not a fighting pit, fighting makes them more aggressive, she just doesn't like Sugar. After this he tells them they are showing how ignorant they are of the breed, which they really aren't helping thier case. Of course rules to have her put down as she is a danger to the community, he isn't biased against the breed and understands their dog aggression, but knows her temperament is wrong and these people were incompetent, he told them if she goes after another dog in the community that a child is walking that child could be injured, but they don't seem to get it. He was a pretty good judge and only had the best in mind. The only thing is that it makes all Pit Bulls look bad in a way because it makes them seem like they can't be trusted by their owners (like the pit bull turns on owner stories) because they turn on them and fight other household dogs and are a danger to the community. Which brings me to something else, that happened at the show. What I saw, really disturbed me. A man was walking his dog, guess he wanted to show it (wasn't at all conditioned, fat actually so I didn't know if it was just his pet walking it around or what) but it was during the handlers meeting everyone was gathered, but he went over to towards the side of the building near the meeting and it was him and his son (young I would say 6yrs maybe) and the dog. The dog lundged, growled and tried to get his OWN child. He just yelled at it, pulled it back really quick, while the son barely got back out of the way and then he "spanked" the dog while his son slapped it on the side a couple times and said no. I was really upset but didn't do anything, should have made a complaint but I didn't want to interupt the handlers meeting and others had seen it. (Were talking among themselves) So it goes by and apparently this guy isn't even still supposed to be there. Because a little later some of the officials are talking, when he was walking out towards his car which was a couple hours later I think he left and came back and then had to leave again or something, not really sure. He was walking towards the car and they are like good there he goes, he's leaving, he's supposed to be gone. What happened was he was at the registration table with his dog in hand (don't ask me why) and he was trying to fill out his registration form to show while the dog was moving around (like a dog normally dogs, walking, sniffing, ect) so he is struggling to fill out the form then one of the officials overed to hold the dog while he filled out the paperwork he replied with a NO! Thats okay. So the other official staight up asked is that dog human aggression, and he actually said Yes, Sometimes! So that was it she wouldn't let him register the dog to be shown. He was supposed to LEAVE with the dog. I never understand people like this. I "understand" to a degree, not approve, people who keep man aggressive dogs that are aggressive to strangers maybe out of fear aggression or whatever they bark, growl or even snap at strangers. I don't tolerate any form of human aggression and I know most people won't, but there are those who think their dog is just protective or they think it won't be a danger they will keep it from biting someone. But to put your own child in danger I can't comprehend! I don't understand how these people (any of them like this) are so neglegent and put their child's life at risk, you don't know what the dog is capable of even just a bite would have done serious damage to him, most likely, its obvious the dog was being serious and could possibly attack the child someday, even kill him. I was mad, because the father was so stupid, that there was a man aggression dog there, but I was more concerned about his son and I felt bad knowing how the dog is that he has to live with the dog, he has to share a home with it and could be attacked. Its like when you know someone is abusing and neglecting their kids but you are powerless to stop it. Thats how I felt. This is also the type of thing that makes it bad for all owners, it helps to enforce the steriotype and BSL because again "Pit Bulls can't be trusted with their own families, they are dangerous to children" when this is any and all breeds of dogs with temperament problems and all the stupid owners who just look past it or think its okay, I don't know how they can ignore the inevidiable and not concern themselves with their childs safety. Its just like one of those stories you see where the families Pit attacks the child and they say He's never done anything like that before. When in reality the dog has shown aggressive tendencies, but they don't want to look bad, they don't want to say yes it growled at my son weeks, months before it ever put him in ICU. Then the dog and the breed is blamed. Even Bane's owners (the Presa who killed Dian Whipple) said their dog was a loving house pet, never shown any type of aggression before. Which I fail to believe that this breed never showed protective tendencies at least if not unstable aggressive ones and how they were irresponsible for having this breed in an apartment in the first place. But they only try to say it was the victims fault for a 100 different stupid reasons. When it was their dog who was unstable and a danger. And I know its not really different in that case a persons life was taken, but it wasn't their child in their own home that they are supposed to love and protect.

2. honeybears

honeybears New Member

I saw that episode and just sat there shaking my head, bad owners is right! I had trouble following it because it was so strange. I thought am I really hearing this, that this was the 3rd time Sugar was attakced by Gemini. poor Sugar should have been taken taken away to protect her from her owners who are clueless, its their fault for her being attacked in my book. and the guy who had his arm practilly ripped off defending Gemini, wow how many more times were they will to put themlseves and dog at risk.

On a happier note, I loved the story of the cat being found 7 years later across country by being microchipped.

3. someday

someday New Member

I saw this episode as well and couldn't believe it. Talk a bout bad PR for pits. These people were truely stupid. I mean, I love my dog too, and I admit, making a descion to put her down would be very very hard for me, but come on! It happened 3 times, that dog shouldn't have been anywhere near that other dog after the first time.