1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

OK, if anyone remembers me....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by Sarge's Mom, Jun 21, 2005.

1. Sarge's Mom

Sarge's Mom New Member

I need help with selecting a new puppy for our family. If any of you who still remember me (and what happened to my Sarge) I have waited almost a year and now feel ready to add on to the family again. But, I want to be careful in selecting the right puppy. I lean toward large breed dogs but don't want an ultra hugh maintenance dog as that would not be fair to the dog. Just looking for some of that famous Auspet advice that helped me so much in the past.

P.S. I have nursed 6 dogs with Parvo since my last posting here and I am proud to say that all of them made it!!! I even had one of their vets call me and ask for advice!!! Who knew!

2. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Hi!! I was just thinking about you the other day and hoping you were doing well!

I can't believe it has been that long since Sarge left us. I'm so glad you are ready to try again!

Let's see....large breed. Well, many of the REALLY large ones are supposed to be much like huge teddy bears - Great Pyr, St. Bernard, Bernese Mountain Dog, Newfoundland. People here who have those can tell you about it. I think hair, drool, and moon craters in your backyard were the down sides to those breeds. :)

Naturally, I have to mention a Golden Retriever, since they are one of my favorite dogs. Some can be hyper, but most are quite docile and love to please their people, making them easier to train.

You could always go the adult dog way and be able to select exactly what you want (from a rescue or shelter, for instance), but I can understand wanting to do the puppy thing. I am fighting puppy fever myself!

Hmmmm. Samoyed? Great Dane?

Have you tried one of those web pages where you can put in what you want and they will suggest breeds? Sometimes that gets you a good starting point.

3. Dukesdad

Dukesdad New Member

Welcome back. Lab , of course, if you can endure a three year puppyhood. :D
    Here's one for you. Meet Beau. He's a St. Bernard/Lab mix that comes to the dog park. In this photo Beau is only six months old but look at those feet.
    [​IMG]

4. Sarge's Mom

Sarge's Mom New Member

I thought about the Lab/Retriever way, I grew up with both. And, yes, Dukes Dad it is the prolonged puppyhood I am thinking about that makes me lean the other way!!! (lol)

I met with a beautiful 8 week old Shiba Inu on Saturday and then did some reading on them and they sound wonderful, but I have no "real" person advice to go off of. I also met an amazing American Mastiff puppy fyi Jaimya, the American Mastiff is drymouthed YEA!), that if he would have fit, I would have wedged into my purse and ran with him! But, again, done the reading yet have no real person feedback on them.

I have considered the Great Dane, very strongly. I adore Great Pyrs, but am afraid I may be too vain for quite that much hair in my house! I also looked at the Bernese.

My two boys have fallen for their cousin's Puggle in a big way, and though I lean towards big dogs, I have to say those little dogs are the funniest, sweetest little things! They look like little miniture Mastiffs in a way. BUT, again, I don't know much about them.

Jaimya- I have been thinking about a lot of you guys too, hoping you are all doing well. It has been about 10 months since I lost Sarge, but nursing sick puppies helped me to stay focused on something else for awhile. That and my divorce!!!

Dukesdad- I want to hang out in your dog park! You always have the coolest mixes there.

5. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Hi Sargesmom :D , I think of maintenance. whatever you choose look at what their needs are. my parents hav shitzu that needs a lot of comibing/grooming, but doesnt shed and then Ihave a friend that has a chow, wow, you could knit a whole wardrobe on the amount of hari that comes off of that dog. and what kind of excerise can you offer? I forgot what is a puggle? a pug and what?? remember used to be pugglowner here but she hasnt posted in a long time. I just love labs, I have the show lab which I think are more mellow and laid back and not as hyper than the hunting lab, which I think Duke of dukesdad is.

6. Sarge's Mom

Sarge's Mom New Member

honeybears- A Puggle is a Pug and a Beagle- I guess, that mix has cleared alot of the health problems the Pug has been associated with. And I have read that the Pug mix in the Beagle has cured the Beagle side of wanting to be a "runner".

I'm so confused!!! Only I could be stuck between dogs like a Mastiff and a Puggle!!!

7. honeybears

honeybears New Member

one thing I have heard is beagles are not good with small children so if you are thinking of a puggle, I would find out if they have that beagle trait. oh and I dont know what kind of weather yo have but consider the tempuarature. I saw someting that I have never really gave much thought too, but is the type of dog fit your weather. they gave an example of why would someone own a husky that lived in Arizona.

funny my husband loves big dogs and we were at friends house who had a dachsund, you couldnt separate the two, I thought he was going to steal it, so unlike his personality.

sounds like you are going have a lot of fun picking your new family member :D

8. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

WOW, it's been a year since Sarge died. Seems like only yesterday.

I suggest a Bully Dog of some kind. Once they have destroyed everything on the inside and outside of your home, they're pretty much maintenance free. In fact they become virtual "speed bumps" if you let them.

Proof:
    [​IMG]

9. lil96

lil96 New Member

wow! It seems like a month ago, since you lost Sarge. I am glad you seem to be feeling in better spirits. I hope your past year has been ok. I think goldens are a good choice, most are laid back, they train pretty easy not so much grooming occasionally brushing (the more you brush the less you have to pick up later). I also like pit bulls (and I know they are sweeties) but other people act weird around them, maybe a pointer, I like them alot too. Or maybe a giant schnauzer, although I don't know much about them. or maybe some sort of springer spaniel or big spaniel type dog? Good Luck choosing!!
    Nice to hear from you again!

10. honeybears

honeybears New Member

luvdapits, speed bumps is right, what cuties you have. and bullies dont shed and their coats are so easy to take care of. Are those costco beds? I was thinking of buying one but they are filled with cedar chips and thought the smell would turn the dogs off and then they would use them.

11. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

OMG!!! How ya been girlfriend!!! I've missed you sooo much.

You know... you could always fly down here and get one of the Pyr puppies!!!

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Wait. Sams, you have Pyr puppies??

I believe Puggles have the stubborness of a beagle, although of course that depends on the individual dog. Being the owner of an extremely stubborn dog, I know that they can be challenging to live with at times. :shock:

What about an adult German Shepherd? Or are you wanting something totally different? You always did like mastiffs, I remember. Hmmmm. Maybe TWO dogs, so they have companions? :)

Are you still dating the same guy? What does he like?

Some people really like Standard Poodles. The trainer of the puppy class I took Nala to has Giant (or were they Standard...) Schnauzers.

I *think* it was a Shiba Inu that I talked to someone about at an agility trial. I think what she said is that they are very independent dogs and cannot be forced to do things. You have to train them in creative, interesting ways and then they respond very well. But she also said they are extremely loving, wonderful dogs.

13. Sarge's Mom

Sarge's Mom New Member

I REALLY would love to get a Great Pyr but I'm not sure I could keep a straight face when I lied that they don't shed very much at all!!! :shock:

I'm not sure I could do another GSD by itself, but the idea of 2, one being a GSD might be an idea. Does that make any sense? My boys still talk about Sarge all the time. :(

Jamiya- I had heard that too about the Shiba Inu being VERY strong willed. But, then, so is my 2 year old so maybe I'm up to the task!

I have a friend who will give me a Boxer puppy, but..... I'm not sure I'm up to quite that!!! Her dog eats the remote control or mini blinds whenever they stay out of the house just a little too long!

Actually, I'm marrying the same guy next April!!! He likes big dogs too, but he is also kind of smitten with the Puggle. That dog just REEKS personality! He is wonderful with the little kids, thinks they are his littermates it seems. He is a little stubborn, but the Pug in him is VERY sensative to vocal reprimands so you only have to sound stern for him to snap up.

I showed Matt the Great Pyrs and he loved them, then he asked how much they shed...... shed? Huh? What happened? Did you ask me a question?

Loves-da-pits- Tell me your not in sales for a living! "Once they have destroyed everything on the inside and outside of your home, they're pretty much maintenance free." (lol!) I don't think I should use that as a selling point for the bullies! Although, you will be happy to know that my fiance' is educated about Pits, etc... and how misrepresented they have been. That was nice to find out! An educated man! Who knew!

14. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

What do YOU think about the Puggle? He may have picked you. Sometimes an animal that is not at all what you were looking for picks you, and I have never heard anyone regret acquiring such an animal. :)

Can you ask the Puggle owners about his BAD habits? That way, you can see what you would have to live with. How old is he? Is he trained at all?

There are worse things than a dog with a ton of personality. And being sensitive to voice commands is a good thing! Bonnie is really easy to deter from bad habits because she is rather sensitive. Nala pretends to be deaf, which makes things more difficult.

Small dogs can also be nice for things like traveling and when you have to control them. I was going for a bigger dog when I got Nala, but now I think her 50-pound size is rather nice. I still do want a dog that I can pet without bending over - someday.

And you could always get the Puggle and then get a bigger dog later on!

What exactly are you looking for in a dog? Cuddly companion? Playmate? Jogging partner? One that does tricks? One that entertains you with antics? A little bit of everything? What things can you totally not stand that some dogs do?

I'm so happy for you with your new beau and impending marriage! Congrats!!

15. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

well their not exactly "Puppies" any more...I posted a while back about them... there's two left here at my mothers. We took the rest to a rescue where they could be fostered out. They were just too much to handle all at once. So three that were the most loveable and probably the quickest to get adopted out went to the rescue. The two shy ones that need more work are still here.

16. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

We could probably set up a transport if Sarge'sMom wants one of them. :)

17. loves-da-pits

loves-da-pits New Member

Sarge's Mom: Nope, I couldn't sell a glass of water in the middle of the desert. :) But I just want to let you know that the bully dogs are pretty much polyester and maintenance free once you get them past the adolescence stage which can be most difficult. Now my two buddies are the most well behaved dogs that I have ever been around. Which ever dog you decide on getting, I'm sure it will be love at first site. The trouble with that is you'll want most of the dogs that you see. I'm a betting person and I bet you may end up getting 2.

honeybears: Yeah, those are the Costco beds. The dogs actually love the cedar smell. So do the cats. The dogs will rub their faces on the beds and the cats roll all over them. They're cheap enough that I get them a new one every six months or so once the cedar smell is gone.

18. honeybears

honeybears New Member

Sharaon, well that it, Ineed to break down and buy one, it would go perfect in my room, I htopught they would be turned off by the smell. my cat also fights withte dogs over their beds, and he alwasy wins

19. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

You can always just replace the cedar when the smell goes, rather than replacing the whole bed.

20. WinniPoo

WinniPoo New Member

Try looking into a Keeshound, a med. size dog, a bit furry, but they are the most friendly dog you ever want to meet. They always have a smile on their face (no kidding). Our Logan is the best, and so eagar to learn as a puppy. He so well trained!!!!! Just a thought for you!!