1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ok so this is a bit embarassing but Buster....

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by HDrydr, Mar 13, 2008.

1. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

.... ok so Buster has the worst paint peeling, room clearing, gaging gas ever!! :oops: Don't really know if there is anything that can be done about this issue or not. He has an underlying health issue and is on medication daily. He has Addison's Disease and is on a very low dose of Prednisone everyday. I don't feed him grocery store bought food but Nutro natural choice lamb and rice for sensitive stomachs. He doesn't get people food except scraps that hit the floor that we can't get to fast enough for my 4 legged fast garbage disposal. :lol:

I know this is a little on the gross side but I'm sure I'm not the only one that suffers from a pooch with this affliction.. :lol:

2. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Hi one of my dogs used to have gas like that it was awful.
    I do not think it has anything to do with the Prednisone as this is a steroid, as my partner has it for his Ulcerative Colitis.

I used to mixed 1-2 crushed garlic cloves in to my dogs food once a day and this seemed to help as it helps the digestive system, Remember though garlic in large amounts is toxic to dogs so only 1-2 cloves a day.
    When i say cloves i mean when you buy one from the grocery store its a bulb and it seperates into little cloves.
    Just to make sure no-one gives a full bulb of garlic..

Also warm fresh water helps as this clears the system out.

Mike

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Thanks Mike!!
    I will at this point try anything to help Buster and my nose, and paint etc...... :lol: I will try the garlic, got plenty of that I love cooking with garlic. Didnt know however it was toxic to dogs, good to know!! Good to add the clove vs bulb some may not know that nice thinking.

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Prednisone can have a gassious effect on dogs. I have found that antihistamines and some antibiotics have effects on the digestive system. Whats worse is when you have 9 adult boerboels between 110-200lbs each laying in your livingroom and each taking their turn passing noxious gasss. OMG. Its unbearable....

5. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

that's funny I am sorry for you when your dogs digestive systems go nuts..... :mrgreen:

6. Auspetian

Auspetian Administrator Staff Member

OMG i can only imagine... :lol:....somone open the window PLEASEEEEEE :-s

7. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

After looking at a site about Boerboels I can't even imagine the aftermath of your living room when all 9 of them let loose OMG :shock: WOW!!! I'm sorry :lol: I thought just having my 83 pound Boxer/lab was bad......ekk

8. Samsintentions

LOL. Its not often they're all in here at once. actually is RARE, but we did have a bad flood not long ago and all of them were indoors. LOL

Most of mine would rather be outdoors and are kenneled when i'mnot home or at night. Precious is pretty much the main house dog, only because she's my "baby" and my personal protection dog.

Out of all of them, she has the worst gas. She can't have anything with beef. For some reason beef really sets her off.

9. charmedagain

charmedagain New Member

Oh dear sam i bet you have to get the gas masks out when they all start letting rip hahaha.

Mind you mitzy is the same if i give her pork, beef or lamb when she lets rip its like something i have never smelt before its awful, i can feel myself going green frmo the smell hahaha.

Also i forgot to add if you give them live yoghurt this helps the digestive system and helps get rid of the gas problem takes a couple of days but works..

Mike

10. Sara

Sara New Member

Yogurt can help with gas... Just tablespoons worth can work. It kinda gets the system going right and so no gas. When I was feeding Kibble I'd feed the pits yogurt when we went to dog shows and had three in the car at once and motel and whatnot... Now the gas isn't bad...they get yogurt regularly anyway so...

I'd recommend trying the raw diet with your Buster... read up on it before you think about changing but it may help with addisons. I'm not positive though. Might try googling Addisons and Raw feeding. There may be people out there who feed it to treat Addisons... It's worth a look, it'd be much better for your dog than Pred. is.

Good luck clearing up that gas issue...we all experience the doggy fart...LOL... The best is when it makes a noise and you get a silly dog who jumps and looks at their backside...like... What was that????

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

LOL :mrgreen: Yup Buster does that too!! it cracks me up. He will also look at us then move, or just ignore it but move his head in the opposite direction. It is really funny when he looks at his backside and looks really confused!!! (speak of the silent but deadly fart it just hit my nose, yuck!! yes as he walks away from it)

Thanks I will try the yogurt... just plain vanilla? I will also look into the raw diet vs addison's.

12. Sara

Sara New Member

Just plan no fat yogurt not even vanilla. They love it too.

13. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

great thanks I'll check into it.

14. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Update: Well Buster has been getting the yogurt at both meals for 4 days now and wow what a difference!! That's amazing Thank you Thank you!! oh and our noses thank you too. No more paint peeling, eye watering stink bombs!! :mrgreen: He can't wait for meal time now bouncing all over the place while I'm getting it ready.. :eek: It is quite the sight. You guys saved me...

15. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Wonderful news. Thanks for the update. :eek:

16. Sara

Sara New Member

So Glad it worked for you!!!

17. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Thank you Sara for suggesting the yogurt!! :y_the_best: it has really saved us! And Buster thanks you for the yummy treat at meal time. :y_the_best: :mrgreen:

18. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Well for some reason the noxious smelly fa*ts are back?? I'll have to experiment or maybe he got some Easter dinner that I'm not aware of..... :lol:
    Well here is a funny story it had me in stiches last night. The BF and I were in bed last night and Buster who is next to the bad letting them rip and we are both covering our noses with the sheets. When I told him about a few weeks ago he was sound asleep breathing through his nose and I was still awake. Buster was letting the very ripe loud ones loose I started giggleing and turned to see if for sure those ones would wake BF up!!! Well they didn't: last night I told him about this and he said "hey that might have been the night I was dreaming that I was on the show Dirty jobs working in a cr*p farm!!!" :mrgreen: I think I laughed about that one for 30 min at least!! :eek:

19. Samsintentions

LMAO Oh my...
    Well it could be that you need to increase the yogurt a bit... or your giving too much.

One thing i knotice is that my pregnant or lactating bitches will have the most horrid gas. OMG..... Nothing cures it. I guess its just a pregant thing! Ack....

20. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I will try to increase it I have only been giving him 2 heaping tsps at both meals....

But yea it is horrible.... :lol: