1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

ok this is weird!!

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Laura05, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I got my husband a betta and a bowl for his birthday... well... the poor thing died a while back... we took him out and the tank has just been sitting on his desk all hooked up -- water still in it -- the light has been out all this time.. but there is a desk lamp near it.

Ok to the weird part. About three weeks ago it started growing alge. I said ok... I need to clean that out and start over again. Well I never got around to it. And now the tank is clear again. The gravel still has some alge on it. There are a few snails in there but there is no way they could have cleaned all of that up! The snails are only as big as a pin head! And there was so much alge in it you could not see in there very far!! So what the heck is going on in there?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

At first, the algae was probably feeding on left over nutrients from when the betta was in the bowl. Then after a while of not having a betta & not putting any food in there, the algae died.

BTW, your bowl wasn't one of these things, was it?
    [​IMG]

If so, that's too small for a betta and probably the reason it died.

-Chelle

3. J_acon

J_acon New Member

Damn sphere, it sure looks good. Too bad it doesn't really work for them, but i know ppl keep bettas in smaller containers.

4. tina1

tina1 New Member

Yes, that's sad that those are actually sold Chelle. I saw an even smaller bowl for bettas on ebay that was actually on a stick so you could put the betta's bowl in a houseplant to use for decoration. Made me sick. And even sicker that some people think that its an ok home.

5. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

no it isnt that small... I think the one we have is a gallon and a half or two gallons. It needs to be small because the only place for it is on his desk.

*edit* And we had to have one that had a lid because our cats like to "go fishing"

6. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

This is as close as I could find... ours is an octagon shape though...it also has an undergound filter.

[​IMG]

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Okay, I think I know which one you're talking about. I think I've seen it at Walmart and it's 2 1/2 gallons which is a good size for a betta.

One thing about those horrible little betta spheres it for about the same price ($12ish) you can buy a nice 3 gallon jar at Walmart. Granted, it doesn't have a light, but it gives the fish a lot more room to swim and you don't need to do daily water changes just to keep the poor fish alive.

-Chelle

8. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

The only thing bad about a Jar is that it has no lid... ours has to have a lid because of the kitties. :?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

My jar has a lid. I set it at a little bit of an angle so there's a small opening to let fresh air in.

-Chelle

10. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

in the same aquarium we are trying to find some kind of fish that will do fine in that aquarium.

What I need are suggestions on what kind of fish and how many for a 2 gallon aquarium with an underground filter system.

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Other than a betta, ghost shrimp, a guppy, or snails, there's really not much that can go in a 2 gallon. Most of the fish that normally would fit in a 2 gallon (ie small tetras, danios, & barbs) are schooling fish and would be miserable by themselves, but you wouldn't be able to fit them & some buddies in a 2 gallon.

-Chelle

12. Hooben

Hooben New Member

Laura05,

Remember that larger tanks are easier and more enjoyable when set up right. Why not find a spot in your house and begin to shop around. Some nicer 29 and 55 gallon tanks come with great looking wood stands and canopys that are awesome. You can look around at displays in shops, or online and find some combinations of fish that you like. Don't limit yourself, go for it.

13. Laura05

Laura05 New Member

I already have a 55 gallon tank. :) This is one we have for the desk.

14. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

t-chelle, does your jar havea filter heater or anything?

15. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

No. I do 100% water changes every 2 weeks or so (I keep an eye on the ammonia and if it starts registering, I do a water change). And the jar is right next to my computer which stays on all the time so the temp stays between 75* and 80*.

-Chelle

16. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

isnt that stressful on the fish, 100% water changes?

constant fresh water doesnt alow for anything to go wrong i spose but it doesnt let anything settle.

but then i guess, what is there to settle.

pretty good temp from a comp, do you leave it on a scren saver so your betta can watch something?

17. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Bettas are fairly hardy; they're just about the only fish that can tollerate 100% water changes.

-Chelle