1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Ol' Roy

Discussion in 'Dogs - all breeds / types' started by catwoman, Nov 14, 2004.

1. catwoman

catwoman New Member

Just curious, does anyone know who makes the brand Ol' Roy dog food for Walmart?

2. nern

nern New Member

I beleive it is manufactured by Doane Pet Care.

3. lil96

lil96 New Member

It made my dog poop alot when I bought it, it didn't seem very healthy, but that time I had almost no money. I have heard other people using it on a regular bassis no problem though

4. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Tehy do make a good dog food. I buy the Ol' Roy Gormet Blend. Its first ingrediant is Chicken followed by beef and then corn and wheat....and it goes on...

The dogs all love it and its WAY cheaper than the pro plan. Smokey likes it, but only eats it as a snack.

5. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think it is one of the lowest quality foods you can possibly buy for your dog.

6. Sara

Sara New Member

I'd have to aggree with you Jimiya...

7. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

Interesting, Sams. I have always heard that Ol'Roy is horrible. You do have to be careful even if they list chicken first. "Chicken" is mostly water, and ingredients are listed by weight BEFORE being cooked. So after cooking when that water is gone, chicken could be WAY down on the list. How far down is chicken meal or some other real meat meal?

8. Angie

Angie New Member

I just started Shianne on Ol'Roy (the white bag) and she loves it.
    If this is not good for her, then what is another food that would be better that doesnt cost too much?
    I was feeding her Natural Choice (Lamb Meal & Rice formula) $35 for 40lb bag. Is there anything a little less expensive?

9. Samsintentions

Samsintentions New Member

Really? hmm I'll check that when I get home...

They do make a lamb meal and rice formula. Is that anygood?

I have to disagree on the "lowest Quality" part. The DOllar General stores sell a "little Bits" dog food...now thats the lowest quality....meat is second to last on the Ingrediants. Theres so many phates, and soy's and ites in there you can't pronounce anything!

10. Sara

Sara New Member

I get Diamond Maintenence for around 14.00 for a 40lb bag... Nutro MAX Large Breed I was getting for $25.00 a bag.

11. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Ol'Roy is a poor quality food and is much like feeding chicken feed. When I fed kibble I fed Nutro Max & Diamond (when my budget was low). You can buy a 40lb bag of Diamond for around $14-18. The website below has a list of dog foods manufacturers who make PRESERVATIVE FREE (without BHA/BHT) premium natural pet food. Or manufacturers that use only top of the line quality human grade ingredients and NO artificial preservatives or additives.
    http://www.doberdogs.com/premium.html

This link has a comparison chart to ingredients of most grocery store/department store foods.
    http://www.doberdogs.com/foodcht5.html

12. Jamiya

Jamiya New Member

I think Chicken Soup is a good brand that is not as pricey as some of the others.

13. GinaH

GinaH New Member

Chicken soup is a good brand it is actually made by the same makers as Diamond pet food.

14. nern

nern New Member

I agree that Ol Roy is a low quality food. I can't imagine that they could add very good ingredients to something that costs $12.99 for 50 lbs.

Angie: I'd go with Diamond over Ol Roy. It costs around $17.99 here for 40 lbs. Pro Pac and Chicken Soup are both pretty affordable too although not as cheap as Diamond.

15. lil96

lil96 New Member

With my old dog Sentry, I could only feed her Dog Chow Littles Bites anything else would give her terrible diarhea. I tried more expensive better name brands stuff from the vets. Always runny poo. But she started out on Dog Chow Little bites when I got her but I thought that was low quality and only wanted the best for my dog, but it was the only thing that wouldn't make her sick. She also couldn't eat treats or snacks or anything. But I don't know if it was somethng formt he food or not but she died at 7. But my parents dogs never had anything other than generic what ever was cheapest dog food along with scraps from the table (sometimes chocolate) and lived until they were 15 &16 years old. So whatever works best for you and your dog!

16. Angie

Angie New Member

Ok, thanks!

I fed her Pro Pac for the longest time. And someone told me that Pro Pac is supposed to put weight on and she has enough weight on her! So I was talking to the guy in the pet store and he was telling me that Natural Choice was a very good brand. And the reason why most vets tell you to go with Science Diet is because it puts the students through their school. (or something like that)
    So I just started mixing the Natural Choice with the Ol'Roy and she loves it. But I am going to look into getting this Diamond brand.
    Should I mix it with the Ol'Roy?
    I only have a little less then half of (40lb) bag of Ol'Roy mixed with her old food (Natural Choice) left and I have a little less then half a (10lb bag maybe?) of Ol'Roy by itself.
    I think I will let her finish the mix, then start on the Ol'Roy and in 2 weeks, start her on the Diamond.

17. Sara

Sara New Member

That sounds about right... You might want to look at the Lamb and Rice Diamond or the higher quality one or two places up from "maintenence" because of the corn content... Corn is filler so less corn less weight gain..if that makes sense... My APBT Honijade does GREAT on the Lamb and Rice...she's one of those fatso's...LOL...she gains really easily I mean...it only takes just under 3 cups a day of Diamond Lamb and rice and if you're only feeding ONE dog it's likely that you'll only go through one 40lb bag a month if not less.... I go through about four with the big dogs and HJ eats her own food and a 30lb bag lasts her the whole month... Wish they all were small like she is...LOL...

Sounds like your plan will work with the Ol'Roy and changing over... I'm glad you will switch to Diamond...I'd go up to Nutro if you can afford it...but it just all depends on how much your dog eats etc... If she eats less on Diamond if you can budget it in I'd think about going to Nutro because she'll eat about the same ammount and it's even a better quality...but I'm really thrilled with Diamond so far...so either or...

18. Angie

Angie New Member

I will go with the Diamond, Lamb and Rice.
    See how she does on that and then maybe after Christmas, I can think about the Nutro.
    Thanks for the help!
    :D

Question:
    Shianne has been pooping a little more than usual and its diarhea like.
    Can this be because she is in heat or just because of the mix of her new food with old?

19. seaecho

seaecho New Member

In a dog food, you want WHOLE chicken, lamb, etc., NOT byproducts. Brown rice and other healthy ingredients should also be among the first ingredients listed. Ol'Roy is an inferior food if you look at and analyze the ingredients. Its the QUALITY of the protein that is the most important. Chicken Soup has only whole, natural ingredients. And for a high quality food, its among the cheapest - I get 35 lb. bag for $25.98. Its what I use.

20. Sara

Sara New Member

Lower, middle, uppper middle and High... QUALITIES... If you are thinking in terms of budget the best bang for your buck is wht Upper middle range food with high quality proteins, omega's etc... it has all the GOOD of the higher qualities but it also has SOME filler...like corn meal etc... BUT within each brand there's also qualities to look at... If you look at what's beyond the WHOLE natural proteins to the grains added stay away from much corn meal...rice is about the only filler that I LIKE and would want to feed...other than that the carbohydrate and veggie protein added into the food shouldn't be much... I can't afford to feed $25.00 for a 35 lb bag for all my dogs... Each dog handles foods differently as well... My Boerboels are doing as well as EVER on the Diamond maintenence as they did on the Nutro MAX Large Breed.... Coats and all...clear eyes etc... My female APBT can't eat anything but lamb and rice and should likely be on a raw diet... Plan on working towards that one once a few bills are paid off and I can afford to cater...

Feed is important...quality of proteins is the most important... if you're worried about budget upper middle grade is the most you can get per the money you put out... If I were going to feed the highest quality food and had the budget for it... I'd go raw to spend $25.00 for a 35lb bag of dog food kibble of ANY grade is silly when you'd spend the same ammount for RAW which is better quality and more natural to what a dog SHOULD and WOULD be eating if he were not domestic. Just my opinion.