1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Old Cats Hate New Kitten

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by tpelt, Aug 17, 2004.

1. tpelt

tpelt New Member

We have integrated many older cats into our "herd" over the years with a minimum of hissing and fighting so this one is new for me. We have lost 3 of our six cats since the first of the year which I guess is the problem with having many of them within the same age range. So this time we adopted a kitten. He is from a household with many animals and he is not afraid of anything. However it has been 4 weeks and the older cats have NOT adjusted. In the beginning the hissed and left him alone - no puffing up no claws. But now he wants to play and so he chases them. Still only growling and hissing no claws from them. We try to give the older ones lots of attention but they are avoiding us. I do not expect one big happy family but before everyone at least slept on our bed. Please help

2. vene

vene New Member

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. :cry:
    :m23: How about adopting a 2nd kitten for your high energy, playful furbaby? Do you have any pics of the whole family to share? We love pics!
    Our Pumpkin always had a hard time accepting newbies. The others always adjusted well and almost immediately. Pumpkin for some strange reason hated Venus and Pooky. Now she's a happy girl again. I hope your older cats will accept your furbaby soon. How old are they and what are their names and looks?

3. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Thanks for the reply - we had actually thought of this but the idea of the three of them hissing at more than one put us off. Will revisit the idea. I will try to figure out how to post pix have lots.

4. vene

vene New Member

Photoisland is very easy to use. Lots of us use it here. This is taken from Gina H's post:

Quote:
    Your pictures will have to be uploaded online first. WWW.Photobucket.com & WWW.Photoisland.com are nice FREE places to upload pictures.
    Once your pictures are uploaded you have to left click on the picture go to Properties highlight the url then copy it and then of course come here and paste it. Once you paste it click on the IMG tab in the options list above.

Good luck! Can't wait to see all your pics!

5. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Thanks for the help.

Brin Mama - unknown age (found starving and pregnant), Spot - unknown age (stray adult who adopted us) and Max only 1 at his death (kitten found in ditch) are our departed family members. Sophie, Hannah (10 year old daughters of Brin) and Mouse (14 year old adopted 2 years ago when sister in law was going to put her down for behavioral problems) are our current girls and RB is our new baby boy(also adopted from a herd of strays).

If we get another one will post new pix

Brin Mama
    [​IMG]

Spotmobile

[​IMG]

Maxwell Liam

[​IMG]

Sophie

[​IMG]

Hannah

[​IMG]

Molly Mouse

[​IMG]

RB

[​IMG]

6. vene

vene New Member

Wow, you have posted the fastest pics ever on this forum. Your cats are gorgeous and RB looks frisky! Thanks for sharing!

7. halaroo

halaroo New Member

Beautiful girls! RB looks like a cutie - hope he gets accepted into the family soon!

8. vene

vene New Member

Great avatar!!! :m32:

9. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Thanks It is my favorite picture of my Brin Mama and her second batch of kittens.

10. nern

nern New Member

Generally, the older the cat the longer the adjustment period. With your cats being 10 - 14yrs old the adjustment period may just take a bit longer. I imagine the kitten might be annoyingly active in their eyes as well. For now I would try to burn as much of his energy as possible using toys so that he is less likely to chase around and try to play with your adults.

The pictures of your cats are lovely. :D
    I must ask that you please reduce the size of your avatar though as the max. size should be no more than 80 x 80 pixels. Let me know if you need help reducing the size.

11. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Since they have always adjusted before I assume they will. We try to work off that energy for their benefit as well as ours - will just keep working.

I have resized the avatar , will try again if this didn't work

12. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

Hi. :D You have such beautiful cats. I hope in the near future your cats will resolve their issues and they will all be friends.

13. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Just talked to the vet - she said that I should get a new kitten but that it should be a Siamese mix because that is what RB is and they tend to be dominant. So now we are looking.

14. vene

vene New Member

15. tpelt

tpelt New Member

Thank you for the suggestion. I took a look at her into and according to them she doesn't like other pets. I am thinking that would just agrievate everyone even more. However her listing took me to pet finders and they seem to have losts of kittens who need homes. Now to find the right one - vet said to get an active one.

16. vene

vene New Member

You are right. Sorry about that. I totally forgot about that. Mary_NH is working on getting that girl saved from getting put down.