1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Old feline seizure .. very scary ..

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Ginny, May 19, 2008.

1. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Hi,

My almost 16 year old cat had a seizure yesterday, it was her first one ever. It lasted about 2 minutes, then she went limp, salivated loads, then a huge miaow .. then back to normal quite fast.

I'm lucky, one of my vets lives next door and she came straight over and checked my cat over, who was in recovery by the time she got here.

Any advice from anyone who has elderly cats who suddenly developed this problem?

2. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

have her ears checked. Could be an inner ear infection which would require antibiotics.
    Should have yearly blood tests done at this point to in order to ensure she remains healthy and if she should start to develop any age related problems you'll catch it early.

3. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

Sorry to hear that Ginny!! it is hard to see our fur babies have health issues!! Glad to hear that she recovered quickly. keep up with the checkups and bloodwork for sure!!!

I worry about that myself with my 11 year old Patches, she gets annual checkups because of some kidney issues. I am in the same boat my vet is less than 5 mins away......

4. Ginny

Ginny New Member

Thanks. She's been fine ever since. I was wondering though, she's on a steroid jab every few weeks for an allergy - could that be connected?

I took one of my rats to the vet on Monday, but also talked to him about Cassie and explained the situation. He suggested letting her have 3 seizures (if they occur again) and timing them etc, and then bringing her in for examination.

She eats ok, and goes absolutely wild for tuna still .. just sleeps loads like any old person/animal does and if I hadn't been here on Saturday I wouldn't know any different. Her eyes are bright, her fur is looking good and she's still sleeping next to my head every night :D