1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Opinions on male and female cats

Discussion in 'Cats - all breeds / types' started by Nano, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

I was reading an article in a magazine,and they were talking about the differences between male and female cats. One woman was saying
    that she thought her male cat was far more loving than her females.Any one have an opinion? I have males and females, and I would have
    to say, that my boys are more affectionate than the girls. Always looking for attention, and a good belly rub. When it comes time for getting brushed, the boys will lay down to get their backs done, then roll over to get their bellies brushed. My girls hate getting brushed, the oldest bites when she has had enough! When I am folding clothes, it's the boys, Riley in particular that has to get right in the middle and"help". I think during the day, it is the boys that are more visible. The girls are usually off somewhere else having their "cat" naps. Love them all, but do see their differences.

2. Chezza

Chezza New Member

My male cat Jay, is very very affectionate, he will lay on you for hours, my girl is restless on your lap, always kneading, OUCH OUCH!!! :shock: :shock:
    There both affectionate but in different ways.

3. halaroo

halaroo New Member

My cats are so different from each other. Artemis is always (and I mean ALWAYS) around. He doesn't necessarily sit on me, but he has to be in the same room, letting me know that he's there. Moe is really friendly in the evenings and late afternoons. She also has these days in which she's in a mini-heat where she craves affection (she was spayed as an older cat and I think they missed some).

It's really hard to judge who's more affectionate though since they are of different ages and I've had Artemis since kittenhood, but adopted Moe when she was an adult. They both had very different "childhoods". It's the whole feline nature vs. nurture debate!

4. faeriedust1127

faeriedust1127 New Member

I agree they are affectionate in different ways. I have met some VERY affection and sweet females at work, but majority i would say definitely i see more affectionate males than females.

Vianne I have had since she was a 3 month old kitten and she is very attatched to me. She will never come up close to anybody to snuggle and she has no problem to offer a quick nip to anybody who wants to pet her. But she follows me everywhere I go, always sleeps at the foot of my bed and whenever i get home she's there at the door and flops on the floor and stretches out for a belly rub. Her i can pick up and hug and squeeze and snuggle and rub my face in fur and cover her with kisses. No problem, she's used to mommy's "huggies".

Now Panda on the other hand, i got as an adult stray cat just last fall and I don't even know how old he is or much at all about his past except that he was abandoned by his owner about 2 yrs ago when she moved out of state and he was on the streets for at least a good year or so. He is affectionate almost to the point of being annoying. Every nite at bedtime we have the same routine. He will be fast asleep in the kitty bed on the floor, but the second he hears me get into bed, he pops up and is trying to snuggle and laying on my arm before i can even get comfortable. He turned out to be a lap cat for sure, which is funny cuz he was so skittish and always hiding at first i wasn't sure he'd ever come around.

Complete opposite of my other cat tho, she will let you pick her up to snuggle, but otherwise keeps her distance. He will invade your personal space at every opportunity, but just you try and pick him up to snuggle like Vianne and he will kick you hard enough to leave a good mark. I have a few scars on my wrists already, lol.

5. Mary_NH

Mary_NH New Member

Zeus is the first male pet I've ever had. I do see a difference in his personality but I think it's the bipolar :roll:
    He is more loving but in a different way - hard to explain. I think my girl cats love on me but more for their enjoyment whereas I think with Zeus he loves on me cause he does love his meowmy. :p
    On other cats boards people say the same thing - male cats are more loving than the girls.
    With Rescue they won't approve a girl/girl household but will approve a girl/boy or boy/boy. It's been their experience that 2 females aren't going to get along as well and most of their returns have been from people who have insisted on girl/girl matches.
    Having said that my 3 females all get along pretty well.

6. Chessmind

Chessmind New Member

All of my cats( both male and female) were affectionate. I think it just depends on the cat.

7. Chezza

Chezza New Member

Yea thats right Chessmind, I think it depends on the cat too..

8. Nano

Nano New Member

I think my 3 males are definately more people oriented than my 2 girls are.Smokey likes to be where ever I am, even sits on my shoulders and watches me type :lol: .Riley is very affectionate he is pretty much where ever I am,too, but doesnot like to be held very much. The two girls don't like to be held at all.Tigger is pretty much my husband Greg's cat, and is his constant companion. He is really loving,too.

9. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

I have had mostly girls until 10 months ago.... My girls have been way more affectionate than my Harley he in the beginning would sleep next to me on the couch but he now would rather sleep in the window and does not like to be held or brushed or pet. I fondly call him my naughty little boy however he is not so little anymore. I would call him a typical tom cat, he is very independent and affection only happens when he wants it and it only lasts a few min. My female sleeps next to me and my bf, loves to be brushed, held, comes up and lays on my lap on the couch, and likes to be petted. She just purrs away. Harley.... I have not heard him purr since he was little little.. overall I think that both sexes are affectionate in their own way.

10. Nano

Nano New Member

All of our cats take turns sleeping with us.Sometimes when we wake up in the morning, we find Boo,Smokey,Riley, and occasionally Prissy,too. And when Tigger gets in bed with us, he likes to go under the covers and sleep lengthwise between us! :lol:

11. HDrydr

HDrydr New Member

My Patches loves to go under the covers as well she will paw at them when we are trying to fall asleep until she is successful or I lift the sheet up for her to go under. That is also where I can find her during the day she crawls under and I think hides from Harley during the day. I have some cute pictures of her under the covers.