1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

opinions on undergravel filters

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Nano, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Nano

Nano New Member

I have 2 fishtanks with two different filtration systems one is a 100 gal. long with a canister filter and undergravel filter with powerheads. The other is a 110 oceanic with trickle filter system. The trickle filter is great, so easy to maintain! And really clear water. That is my favorite tank. But the canister filter is a real pain to clean and maintain, and forget the undergravel filter! The fish are always digging down to the plates, so it really doesn't do much good. But some people feel that undergravel biological filters are neccessary along with the canister filters Anybody got an opinion on that? Thanks, Nano.

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i hate undergravel filters.

3. Nano

Nano New Member

I hate them ,too. when the canister filter goes, I'm going to get a different type of filter, and dig up that stupid undergravelfilter!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Any reccomendations on filters? Is there a filter that does as good or better job than a 350 magnum? preferably easier to clean and maintain. Thanks. Nano.

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i myself dont know much on filters, all i nkow is that mine is an overhanging one and has a carbon-pad in it....lol

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Under gravel filters can actually be more trouble than their worth. They trap all kinds of wast underneath the plates. And all that waste breaking down causes higher nitrates. At least you can clean out canister & HOB filters to get rid of the waste that they filter out.

How often are you cleaning your canister? I only do mine once every 2 - 3 months so it's really not that big of a deal.

-Chelle

6. Nano

Nano New Member

Hi! I try to clean my tanks once a month, sometimes, every other month. I have large cichlids, and the tanks get very dirty. I have a python vacume cleaner for the tanks, it vacumes and also adds fresh water. What type of filter do you have? I'm going to start checking on different types of filters and see what's available. Nano.

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

You should be doing water changes and cleaning the substrate about once a week, not every month or two. That will help remove a lot of the waste and help keep the nitrAtes down which in turn will keep the fish healthier.

It's taking apart the canister and cleaning it/rinsing the media that I do every 3 months.

And really, canisters & wet/dry filters are pretty much the best that you can get.

-Chelle

8. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

i have an UGF running with an air pump, no canaster etc, and a small filter to assist. i can honestly say the UGF just makes the tank look dirty coz the broke down particals etc rest on the top of the gravel, and also if you turn it off, u loose your benificial bacteria v.quickly. I have one, but im planning just to take it out. i dont think theyre that great, a good internal or external filter will do fine.