1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar and blood parrot

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by SpitItOut, Dec 23, 2005.

1. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

Would I be able to house one oscar and one blood parrot in a 55g tank and if so how do I go about the feeding?

2. lil shant

lil shant New Member

i have heard from the other forums that it is too small i think u only keep one oscar in there u cna try a 65-75 gallon

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

55 is only big enough for a single oscar. If you want a blood parrot too, you'll have to go with at least a 75 - 90 gallon tank.

-Chelle

4. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

Then what else can i put in with an oscar?

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

In a 55, nothing really. You might be able to get by with one of the smaller species of plecos (6" max), but I really wouldn't even do that.

-Chelle

6. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

:? so like not even a green terror?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Definitely not a GT. For 2 large, aggressive cichlids like that, you'd need at least 100 gallons.

-Chelle

8. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

So i picked up my oscar :) but it was labled wild oscar, what type is it?

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Wild caught means it came directly from the wild. The only problems that you might run into (that I can think of anyway) would be maybe a parasitic infection (should have been quarantined, though) or it may not want to eat pelleted food (because it would probably be used to eating insects - getting it to eat pellets isn't too difficult, though).

If it was sold as a wildtype that just means that it didn't come from stock that was bred for color (like tigers, reds, etc). So it will most likely have the wild oscar coloring which is dark green/black with lighter green/yellow stripes and very little orange. Like this one:
    [​IMG]

-Chelle

10. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

Yea he looks like that only less colored and about one and a half inches, He seems to stay in the corner and on the bottom alot. He also swims sorta tilted... Is this all normal?

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Probably just scared and getting used to his new home. Oscars are known to sulk when their envornment changes.

-Chelle

12. SpitItOut

SpitItOut New Member

:D ok, I love my new oscar :eek: thanks for all the help you people are great!