1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar and Green terror

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by DUCKLE-BUM, May 4, 2004.

1. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

Hi y'all :D

My little oscar (nearly 4" now!) will soon be moving into a new tank
    (48" x 18" x 18"), and I am trying to find some other cichlid/s to keep him company. I have considered getting a Green Terror, but I hear conflicting views as to the GT's agression levels and whether they would get on?
    Can anybody shed some light on this for me? and can anyone recommend any other fish that may be compatable?

Many thanks in advance :)

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

A 48 x 18 x 18 tank is only 67 gallons which really won't be big enough for 2 large cichlids. Personally I would just get a few silver dollars and a bottom feeder.

-Chelle

3. oscarboi

oscarboi New Member

id get firemouths

4. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

The new tank (48" x 18" x 18") is only temporary until I can move into a new home with space for a larger tank (probably 140 to 180 glns), so size is only an issue for the next few months.
    What I want to do is to introduce some companions while my Oscar is still reasonably small.
    Firemouths are a possibility, but how large does your average FM grow?

Would I be better off with a larger cichlid than my O, but less aggressive, or a similar size cichlid that is more aggressive?
    What do other people keep with their O's?

5. DUCKLE-BUM

DUCKLE-BUM New Member

In addition, I already have with my O, 1 x Pictus catfish, 2 x kuhli loaches and the obligatory Pleco

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

I would just hold off adding more fish until you get your larger tank. That way if something falls through and you can't get it you won't be left with an overstocked 67 gallon tank. Plus whatever fish you get will be more likely to get along in a larger tank.

-Chelle

7. 3_second_memory

3_second_memory New Member

Hey,

My boyfriend recently bought a green terror.
    He loves it to bits. he has it in a 2ft tank
    he wanted to put it in his large community aquarium, but he was advised against this because it will eat his small fish and it will grow rediculusly huge, but over a long period of time. He has it in the two foot tank with another large cat fish that will eat small fish. Humbug catfish.
    The green terror goes up and down the tank like a lost kitten, but its only fueled my boyfriend to get a ping pong ball for the Green terror to play with.

hope this helps

Amy.

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Actually, from what I've heard they grow about 1" per month (the same as oscars) which means you're going to need at least a 55 gallon tank sometime soon. Otherwise, keeping him in a 2ft tank (I'm assuming that's about 20 gallons) will stunt him which is not healthy and you're going to start running into some major water quality problems as he gets larger.

-Chelle