1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

oscar care

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by willieb18, Apr 16, 2004.

1. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i am going to get an oscar. i need any information that anyone can give me on how to take care of it. what all should i feed it, what should the water temp be, do i need to have rocks in the tank or can i use sand? also what kind of decor if any? thanks

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

3. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

And for decorations, a lot has to do with your own personal preference. You can use either sand or gravel. Just keep in mind that if you use sand you have to be sure to rinse it really well and stir it about once a month to prevent anaerobic pockets. For decorations, chances are you won't be able to keep any live plants. You can use artificial plants and if you anchor them good with a rock it will be more difficult for the oscar to rearrange. The main thing to avoid are sharp, pointed decorations (like lava rock) because the oscar will end up cutting himself pretty badly on it.

Personally, for my oscar tank (75 gallon) I have a Cascade 1200 canister filter (315 gph), a Visitherm heater (300w) set at 80*, and 2 bubble walls (not necessary). I have a glass lid that I keep secured with velcro (almost lost one of my oscars when she decided to jump ship). For substrate I have coarse sand/fine gravel (grains are about 1/8"). I have a few artificial plants anchored with fairly smooth rocks, a piece of flat sandstone (in case they ever decided to spawn), a piece of driftwood, and a large terracotta pot (so my female can hide from the male when he gets aggressive).

-Chelle

4. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

i wanted to get some red sand and put some black gravel on top of it. if i do go with sand will i be able to vaccum the sand? i also wanted to know what size tiger should i get. i have seen the ones that are under 1" then i have seen ones that are about 3" and some that are about 6" i really don't want a really small one. but i want to know how fast it will grow. thanks!

5. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Oscars grow about 1"/month up until they are around 6" or 7", then they slow down considerably. It really doesn't matter what size oscar you get. If you get a smaller one the tank will just look a bit empty for a while (but resist the temptation to add more fish, your oscar will fill up the tank quite nicely by the time he's a year old).

Vacuuming sand can be a bit tricky. Most of the waste will just settle on the top of the sand so you can just hoover the vac about 1" above the surface. You might suck up a little sand, but not much. What kind of red sand are you planning on getting? I've never seen sand for freshwater tanks in any LFS's. Just make sure it's not for saltwater tanks.

-Chelle

6. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

me and my girlfriend go from pet store to pet store. yesterday we went to about 3 so i see a lot of stuff. but one store we went to had a lot of bags for colored sand. i just like red and black. i think i might get a 3"-4" i seen one at one of my lfs for $10.99 is that pretty good? also should i as the lfs what they feed them? i niticed this one guy at the store feeding the oscara and pacus feeders, and then another store just feeds theirs pellets.

7. Alen

Alen New Member

Many people feed their oscars feeders, but they are not very good for them. You take a chance of bringing in diseases to your tank and they're not a healthy food source.

8. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

yeah i know and i dont want to get one from the lfs and it has been eating feeders. i dont want to get one that might already be sick

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Asking what they're fed isn't a bad idea. Somtimes oscars can get picky about their diet so if you can get them the same kind of food they've been eating that would probably help with the transition to his new home.

And just make sure the sand you get isn't for salt water. Like I said, I've never seen freshwater sand (let alone colored freshwater sand) for sale at any LFS before.

And yes, $11 for a 3" oscar sounds pretty good. The Walmart here sells 2" oscars for about $10.

-Chelle

10. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

the ammonia is slowley going down. if i put some decor from another tank in there will that speed the process up?

11. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

If the other tank was cycled, yes it will help a little.

-Chelle

12. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

well what i was thinking about doing was going to the lps and buy a rock or try to get them to give me some water from one of their tanks.

13. willieb18

willieb18 New Member

yesterday at the lfs i seen a kid put a cricket in an oscar tank. the oscar seemed to enjoy it. i was wanting to know if crickets have nitrients (sp) that an oscar would need.

14. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Yes, crickets are fine. Oscars are insectivores so they can eat a wide variety of insects. Just avoid anything that is poisonous, stings, or could have come in contact with pesticides. The most common things fed to oscars as treats are earthworms, crickets, shrimp, and meal worms.

-Chelle

15. chris5302

chris5302 New Member

dont put big rocks in there because they will trow them around and maybe scarch the glass or breake the glass ( it has happen ti me and my dad both) (just because im 14 years old dont mean any thing im telling the truth)