1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar disease?

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by WeAsEl, Oct 10, 2004.

1. WeAsEl

WeAsEl New Member

i recently have changed the water in my 55gal. tank.... i have 2 oscars and 2 paranah and the oscars arent eating for som reason now.... i read that this is kinda normal, but they also keep flipping out and swim around the tank really fast, hit the bottom, and shoot to the top and ram the hood/light system..... now there are a bunch of sores or cuts on there heads.... i was also thinking maybe its that disease also?

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte?

How big are the fish and how long have they been in there?

A 55 gallon tank is barely big enough for a single oscar so your tank is WAY overstocked. The two oscars need closer to 100 gallons. And the 2 piranhas (depending on species) are going to need at least 55 - 75 gallons.

-Chelle

3. WeAsEl

WeAsEl New Member

well ive had them for about 4 months... i have had 3 oscars and 4 pirana in the same tank at one time... this just happened after the tank water was changed..... i dont have a ph reading and will have my mother run a water sample to the nearest fish store and give you the results

4. WeAsEl

WeAsEl New Member

a home test kit brings it to between 7.2 and 7.6... what is the normal for these fish... i will have exactly the ph in a couple hours or so

5. WeAsEl

WeAsEl New Member

a local fish store said the ph and everything was fine..... they sent my mother home with melafix.... i will treat them with this and see where we get with this

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

PH is the least important out of these four....we need ammonia nitrAte and nitrIte

7. Fishkin

Fishkin New Member

What does changing the water in a tank do anyways? Aren't you better off vacumming the gravel (as it also changes the water for a 2 in 1)?

8. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Get the actual numbers for ammoni, nitrIte, and nitrAte. Most LFS employees don't know what's fine and what isn't.

-Chelle