1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar fever over here

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by chuisoccer01, Jan 22, 2005.

1. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

Ok.
    My firt thing is that I have a wisper filter that hangs on the side of the tank, and the oscar likes to lay on its side and let the waterfall hit it. He'll lay there all day....Looks like hes dead but hes not. The first time I saw that I thought he was.

the next question. Should I stick with the side mounted filer or change to a bottom tank cleaner?

I know to some people these questions may sound crazy you know who are are :wink:........but humor me.

thanks

2. gravity

gravity New Member

I've heard that gravel filters aren't very good. Stick with your hang on filter, and it should push 10 times the gallons of the tank per hour (filter should go through 550 for a 55 gallon tank).

How big is your tank? Chances are, if your filter current hits your oscar while it's resting on the tank floor, your tank is WAY too small.

3. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

about the current thing

The tank is a 30 gal, but he stay at the top by where the water comes out of the filter

4. M_wm

M_wm New Member

how long have you had him? How big is he?

5. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

i dont like undergravel filters very much...not only are they a pain would decorating the tank, but when you vacuum the gravel it pretty much defeats the purpose of the undergravel filter.

6. chuisoccer01

chuisoccer01 New Member

more about thy oscar

it's about 4inchs long...the fish...... what do u think about swimming and laying in the current?

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What are your readings for ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte (actual numbers please)?
    How long have you had your oscar?

A 4" oscar is starting to get too big for a 30 gallon tank. And chances are your water quality may not be too good so he very well could be suffering form ammonia or nitrIte poisoning.

I hope you have plans to upgrade to at least a 50 gallon tank in the very near future.

-Chelle