1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

oscar help

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Mudpuppy, May 31, 2004.

1. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

how big of a tank do u need to keep an oscar live and happy? :p

2. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm i think t_chelle said for one oscar u might need about a 75 gallon....she will come in here and provide you with all of the information you need

3. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

ok thanks .... cuz im getting a job this summer and im wondering what a good sized tank i should get so i can get some awesome fish :eek: 8) :y_the_best: :mrgreen:

4. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

how many oscars would you want and what size tnak would u be looking at to buy?

5. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

well, i was thinking of buying a 50 to 75 gallon .... and i just think that oscars are cool but if they cant fit in a 75 then i wont get one

6. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

hmmm........a 75 gallon should b good for about 2 full-grown oscars i believe.

7. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

sweet, how much do oscars cost and how big are they when u buy them ?? and what other fish can u keep with them?

8. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

9. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

is it hard to take care of an oscar??

10. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

this is from one of t_chelle's posts...

11. grnlemonade

grnlemonade New Member

oscars usually arnt that expensive.... to buy a 4 inch oscar at the petsmart over by me it costs about $10-$12 each....i am not sure on any tankmates, but i think a plecostomus would be fine. these fish are relativly easy to care for as long as you have had expierience with fish keeping.

12. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

The general rule for oscars is 50 (or 55 since it's more common) for the first and 25 for each additional. However, I personally don't agree with that rule.

A 55 is fine for one as far as bioload goes, but the standard 55 gallon tank is only 12" wide. Oscars can get 14 - 16 inches including their tails so a 12" wide tank is going to be a bit cramped. A 75 gallon tank will give you an extra 6" width and be much more comfortable for the oscar.

I have recently come to the conclusion that trying to keep more than one oscar together is really a gamble. I went by the general rule and got a 75 gallon for my 2 oscars. They where best buds and inseperable up until about 3 months ago when they suddenly turned on eachother. Today it got to the point where I am seriously considering getting rid of one of them. I really wish I didn't have to do it, but I'm afraid to leave them together (I currently have a divider in the tank). This happened in just a 2 hour span.
    [​IMG]

So unless you have at least a 100 gallon tank, I don't recommend trying to keep 2 oscars.

-Chelle

13. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

ok thx .... so i think ill try to get just 1 oscar .... in a 50 gallon .... but ill find a 50 gallon with good demensions like .... good enough for the oscar to be good :y_the_best:

14. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

15. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

damn chelle, where r u ????!~!~!~!~!~ :( :?: :roll: :x :? :shock:

16. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Sorry, I've been out doing yard work all morning.

A standard 55 gallon tank (Walmart has them relatively cheap) would be okay if that's as large as you could get.

As for the type to get, that basically depends on your own personal preference. The only one I don't recomend getting is blueberry oscars because they are dyed.

Also, the "zebra" oscar listed there is just a juvenile tiger or common oscar. It won't retain those markings as it gets bigger.

-Chelle

17. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

chelle, how much does the 55 gallon cost at walmart ... and does it come with any accessories ?!!? :shock:

18. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

chelle, what type of oscars do u have ... or what is that blackish fish with the redish stuff on it ?!?!

19. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

It's been a while since I bought mine, but I think the tank costs about $150 and comes with a filter (although it won't be enough for an oscar), hood/light, and (I believe) a heater. The stand will be another $150ish.

-Chelle

20. Mudpuppy

Mudpuppy New Member

could a columbian shark be good with 1 oscar in a 55 gallon ?