1. Daphnia - Live Aquarium Foods

Grow your baby fish like a PRO
    Live Daphnia are great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry. Order online to start a never-ending supply of Live Daphnia! [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Microworms - Live Aquarium Foods

Microworms are a great live feed for your Fish or Shrimp Fry, easy to culture and considerably improve your fry mortality rate. Start your never-ending supply of Microworms today! [ Click to order ]
  3. Australian Blackworms - Live Fish Food

Live Australian Blackworms, Live Vinegar Eels. Visit us now to order online. Express Delivery. [ Click to order ]
    Dismiss Notice

Oscar, hole in head, dieing. HELP

Discussion in 'Fish and Aquarium - all types' started by Wendy, May 1, 2004.

1. Wendy

Wendy New Member

:( Hi, I have one oscar left. His hole in head diesease is so bad. I tried everything I was told to do. Nothing is working. He is suffering with these holes all over now. Someone please tell me how to humainly put him down. I dont want to, but he is suffering and it is getting so bad. Any sugestions? Thanks

2. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

What size is your tank? And what fish are in it? What are your water parameters (ammonia, nitrIte, and nitrAte)? What are you feeding him?What all have you done to try treating it? What is he doing to make you think he's suffering? Generally, HITH isn't that difficult to cure as long as your water parameters are good and you feed the fish a good diet. I've seen some fish with pretty severe HITH come back and be just fine. I just want you to be sure that euthanasia really is the best choice for your fish.

But if you do feel it's best, here is a very good article that explains several methods of euthenasia and which are the most humane.
    http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

-Chelle

3. Wendy

Wendy New Member

Ive had the water tested several times. All in line. The tank is 55 gallons, one pacastmis (?) algae eater is in there. I feed him blood worms, Cichlid food. Sometimes a few feeders. My pacus moved out a few months ago and he has had it before then. He lays around the tank most of the time. The holes are getting HUGE and they are over 80% of his body. Its sad. Thanks

4. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Is he still eating, though?

What exactly were your nitrAte readings? Anything above 20ppm can contribute to HITH and as long as they're high it will be impossible to cure. How often and how large were your water changes?

Have you tried Metronidazole? Sometimes they can get a secondary hexamita infection that can preven the sores from healing.

-Chelle

5. Wendy

Wendy New Member

The nitrates were under 12 last reading. He is on the Metronidazole now and for sometime, I was told this was the best to cure it. I did water changes about every week10-20%, sometimes more often when the others were sick too. I also give a vitamin sup, called Vita chem. at a lose..

6. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Oh and for future reference, you really shouldn't feed oscars feeder fish. They provide very little nutritional value, are a great way of introducing diseases into the tank, and contribute to poor water quality. They also contain thiamase which can prevent the oscars from being able to utilize thiamine causing a vitamin deficiency which has also been linked to HITH.

And have you been suplimenting their diet with vitamins?

-Chelle

7. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

Is he still eating or does he pretty much just lay on the bottom w/o moving much?

I hate to say it but euthanasia probably is the best thing. :cry:

-Chelle

8. Wendy

Wendy New Member

He lays at the bottom most of the time. The hole are seriously all over.
    :( What do you recommend how to? I wont do it, I will need my hubby to do it. If I get the courage to tell him to. Ive tried everything. Im sick about it. :(

9. t_chelle16

t_chelle16 New Member

There's some methods in this article:
    http://www.oscarfish.com/cms_view_article.php?aid=13

Personally I've used decapitation before, but never on any fish larger than a few inches. If you're realy squeemish, probably the best bet would be to try to find the tricaine methand sulfonate or benzocaine hydrochloride. You might be able to find them at a farm supply store or a vet.

-Chelle